Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: future fish farming  (Read 2492 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: future fish farming
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:14:01 AM »

I actually enjoyed reading that.  Its is for me anyway entertaining to read this stuff because from article to article there is always some variances that don't add up suggesting to me that while these writers seem to have done their home work overall they do not have a clue. Never the less the article does shed light on an interesting project with an interesting species but for me its to much of "its not that we are so good its that others are so bad, thats why we are so awesome". 
Thats a great jingle about the char liking high densities.  I may well be true but I feel that it is likely not far from the truth for atlantic farming.  Of course there are no densities mentioned so one can not compare the two.  And once again there is no mention of feed content or sources.  Its ok I get it, the article isn't written for actual fish farmers to read so it is likely going to flex the details some what and leave the reader to a"blind trust" of the facts.
I will say this tho, I do agree that open pen chinook farming in the north pacific isn't a bad choice.  I agree with that.  I do see nothing wrong with farming char in closed containment.  Lucky guy to have access to that spring water particularly in that dry climate.  Looks like the future in closed containment fish farming would be finding fresh spring water.  I wonder what that would look like once that starts meeting demand.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:07:41 AM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »

--I don't want to be unfair to the guy... he seems to be trying to do a good job.
--The spring however is the Okanagan River being accessed through  groundwater well. This is a loop hole and one often used to access water from a stream that is oversubscribed. Many ranchers have wells close to streams (different license process)... a significant reason to have the groundwater act updated.
 --Taking water direct from the stream or from a well close to the stream there are similar issues.
--This operation seems to be trying to comply with all MOE requirements... suchs as how he seperates the waste and food waste from the water.

--When these new ideas come up and the permit system is rushed it just leaves room for unintentioned as well as know abuse of the system.
--I'm sure those who issued the permits spent a lot of time on internet search with a sprinckle of precautionary principal.
--It is unfortunate that we cannot have forward thinking persons doing practicle research in preparation for these projects.

--We have a lot of people pushing for (myself included) closed containment style fish farms... yet it is just a feel good idea until the bugs have been worked out. I hope the project proves to be successful and can be used as a model for future development. I am just not convinced there will be follow up investigation with an aim to improve on future applications.

salmonrook

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:57:18 AM »

Great article, we need more of this type of thinking .
Maybe he will be able to have 2 tanks offsetting the lack of revenue for the 2nd year.
I like the fact the the water gets filtered and returned to the river .
 The fact that the Okanagan river's source is Skaha lake and upstream Okanagan lake make it a sustainable choice for water .
 Its clear he is thinking of the  environment first .
 Thanks for sharing.