Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funnest way not to catch fish...  (Read 7033 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Funnest way not to catch fish...
« on: October 10, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »

...has to be fly fishing. Way more entertaining that not catching any fish drifting roe or spin casting.

Ah well, each trip not catching anything is one trip closer to finally catching something, I guess...:)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Funnest way not to catch fish...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »

...has to be fly fishing. Way more entertaining that not catching any fish drifting roe or spin casting.

Ah well, each trip not catching anything is one trip closer to finally catching something, I guess...:)

I was 0-3 on my last three outings, losing fish each time out, including three on my last trip. I final got one to the net, a big chum buck.  I released it and four others like it as they were too dark to make good eating.  All four took my small coho flies, after ignoring my traditional chum patterns.  I did lose a small chrome jack coho this morning, to go with the one I lost on my last outing, but I didn't get a chance to see if it was hatchery before it jumped and spat the fly back at me.
Not all those who wander are lost

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »

I've yet to get one on the fly, save for something in the vedder that broke my line with a single head shake, and a 2" wee un in the cap. Always hopeful though. I don't know if it's how I'm doing it, the fly etc. but every time out is one time closer to the first time, and even a good cast is satisfying.

(But I'd like to catch a fish please...)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »

All I can say is I have had so much fun with this I have focused most of my attention on fly fishing salmon this year.  Its been very successful for the pinks and I figured it would be well worth the same with the "easy" chums.

Ignored my crappy casting and focused all my efforts on getting the depth right and was immediately disappointed when I managed to foul hook two on an intermediate sink leader - was just grateful that it was under the jaw rather than in the fin with those big suckers.   Using a 9wt but a large foul hooked chum could easily bust my rod.

Figuring the sink tip was going down too quick in that slow water I than switched to 9ft mono leader and a bead headed fly - yet another foul hooking :(  Still sinking too fast.

Switched again to 9ft mono leader with weightless fly and finally got that satisfying yank on the line - landed two that way and was happy with the result but casting that length of mono was a headache for one such as me.  Next time I will fish that spot with 6ft leader

Lots of fun but I am really having to work hard to develop confidence in what works and their reluctance to bite whenever I was out made it more challenging -  feel like a complete newb all over again but it is very satisfying when I find something that works.

Judging by the comments on this thread I think many of you have had much the same experience so I feel a bit better now.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:07:39 PM »

Answering for myself, I can say that I've had a fun but fish less experience with the fly rod so far. All I can say is that my casting has improved, but, so what. That's only the 'getting it out there' part. I can't tell if I'm actually fishing or standing there knee deep in water waving a wand around casting the wrong spell. Is it the fly? The depth? The retrieve?

One day I'll get lucky by accident...I hope.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »

The hardest thing about fly fishing is starting out.  The learning curve is really steep.  Not only do you need to learn to cast but you also need to learn how to mend line, select flies, present the fly, etc.

just keep at it.  With enough practice you'll get good and be able to catch fish on a regular basis.

ByteMe

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 08:56:22 AM »

Wait until you get into spey rods and start launching 80-90ft casts, it then becomes an addiction, almost a sport within a sport :o
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »

Next year...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »

Next year...

"There is no year next; this is year now" (Yoda)

There are still many weeks of flyfishing for salmon left, but you need to switch your attention from the C/V and focus instead on the river systems and sloughs on the north side of the Fraser, namely the Stave, Nicomen Slough, Suicide Creek, Chehalis, and the Harrison, to name some of the more popular ones. Bright salmon can be had well through November, and even into December. And there will be plenty of dark salmon around, even past Christmas.

Don't stop yet!           

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 04:55:07 PM »

Just sayin' I have to catch at least one on the single hand rod before I'm allowed to invest in a Spey rod.

I want to fish as many times as I can before the year is out, but since I don't have my own wheels, I can't go as often as I'd like...

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »

I want to fish as many times as I can before the year is out, but since I don't have my own wheels, I can't go as often as I'd like...

Get a 95-99 Toyota Corolla for about $1000-2500, of course there's insurance. Those cars rule to get you out fishing. I'd still be driving mine but I hit a deer coming back from the Stave. Kinda miss it. Get the 5 speed. 

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »

Sadly, (well, not really) I need to put my business needs ahead of my fishing desires, which means I need to buy a CNC before I'm allowed to buy a fishmobile:)

bluenoser

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 07:41:22 PM »

The funnest way to not catch fish is to watch your friends and family catch them.

John Revolver

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »

Fly Fishing is much more interactive. There is NOTHING like the feeling of bombing out perfect casts with great timing, tight loops , no wind knots, precise mending ect.   

You can really tell when a angler is out there and they know what they are doing. I find it admirable in a way and a joy to watch.

When I was growing up, I would spend hours in the back yard and in the school yard practicing my casting. I took it very seriously. Caught waaay more dandelions than fish in those days ahah

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »

I would always expect to find more dandelions than fish in the average backyard:)

As for the feeling, that is something that I think I intuitively 'get' as a musician, feeling in the groove, the pocket, etc...

Sometimes, I get that feeling on the fly rod, more and more often in fact. But I've yet to get a fishy on the other end of that experience...