Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Christmas Tree fly pattern..pics.  (Read 6881 times)

Animal Chin

Christmas Tree fly pattern..pics.
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:59:47 PM »

Can someone post a pic of their Christmas Tree fly. And if it's not too much of a pain, a general description of the recipe or tying method. Would it be best to make it fairly sparse or fuller if one was fishing for coho in the Vedder or Stave. Thanks in advance.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Christmas Tree fly pattern..pics.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:28:16 PM »

I know this is a link to another forum, but I put this pattern up a number of years (5 or 6?) ago now. It's accounted for hundreds of coho, as well as lots of chinook and chum, pinks and cutties. It originated from the christmas tree fly idea, but I just used whatever materials I had on hand and it's been a real winner ever since. The flash combo also works well on the back of a bead head rolled muddler minnow under the deer hair wing  ;)

http://fishtactics.com/ViewFlyPattern?patternID=55

Animal Chin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »

Nice. Thanks, will give it a go. Does the color of the bead matter much you think?

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »

bead dont matter much, its presentation.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »

for me beads are part of the presentation. Coho seem to love that jig like lift and fall beads can give a fly. I put beads or cone heads on all my coho flies excepting some of the more traditional wet fly style patterns. Cones provide more flash imo. I will under size the bead to the hook size in some cases (ie a rolled muddler) to ensure the fly orients correctly. I also prefer gold. Years ago Jack Shaw wrote how he preferred gold rib (or copper) to silver in the fall as this time of year the sun is lower on the horizon and gold catches the light rays better than silver. Spring and summer is the time for silver. Seems to work but the fish often have other opinions. I seldom use coloured beads but I am sure they can be effective.

A Xmas tree is a generic style simply a bunch of flashabou or similar material ties to the hood in a variety of colours. Coho in the FV seems to love blue and olive as well as gold silver and pearl.You can tie the flash as a wing or in the round in more of a jig or hackle style. Beads etc help the fly jig which activates the flash.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:30:10 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:39 AM »

Beads also help the fly get down sooner.

tburns

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:45 AM »

I know this is a link to another forum, but I put this pattern up a number of years (5 or 6?) ago now. It's accounted for hundreds of coho, as well as lots of chinook and chum, pinks and cutties. It originated from the christmas tree fly idea, but I just used whatever materials I had on hand and it's been a real winner ever since. The flash combo also works well on the back of a bead head rolled muddler minnow under the deer hair wing  ;)

http://fishtactics.com/ViewFlyPattern?patternID=55

thanks for the pattern, will most definitely be copying.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »

some more photos:

that one is from Rods website: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/fly_patterns/christmas_tree.html

guidebc.com has links to a number of patterns

basically you can see it's a bead or similar weight at the head, tinsel body and a a wing of flashabou or one of the similar flexible mylar flash materials

The same effect can be obtained by putting 6 or so strands in the tail of an olive wooly bugger.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Animal Chin

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 05:46:36 PM »

Thanks for the pics. I'll give a shot at tying some up tonight. I have all the stuff for a wooly bugger so will definitely give it a go.