Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghost Shrimp  (Read 3783 times)

Silver

Ghost Shrimp
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »

I would like to try to fish with live shrimp...when the bait bans are over of course.

My thoughts are that the collecting of shrimp, keeping them alive, and using them is more difficult and time consuming than using roe as bait. However, shouldn't the use of an underutilized and truly natural (and live) bait be vastly superior?

When searching for information I have found that for salmon...sand shrimp are primarily used for Steelhead, but many say they are also good for Coho, and even Springs.

Way before I was even interested, I remember some 20 years ago a guy on the Cap saying that the only thing working that day was ghost shrimp. Some guy was even making a killing selling them to anglers..they couldn't have all been just targeting Steelhead.

Now I realize that the use of this bait should also be conservative. So I plan to just harvest enough to reasonably use in a given outing, and return any females with eggs also.

Am I misguided in this thinking?

Just ordered an Alvey...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:59:17 PM by Silver »

243Pete

Re: Ghost Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 03:27:37 AM »

Keeping them alive isn't to hard, a small electric air/ fish tank pump will do.

I've used them for all species but I've found that these years they are getting a bit harder to find so I've stopped using them (Not sure if it's just weather condition changes or if its pollution that is having some kind of effect). Live bait/ natural bait can be very effective but that sometimes isn't always the case, when fish aren't hitting roe/ bait sometimes artificials can be more productive.

Most salmon species will hit anything if it's properly presented, I've drifted dew worms and had very good results in all species of salmon slamming them. I've had a few guys scoff at me when I've tied up a big ole wormy but when you make two drifts and watch the float suddenly dart down and fly up river, people tend to change tone.

I don't think you are misguided in that thinking, at least you are being resonable and keeping an open mind.

Alvey make nice bug pumps. :)

Silver

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »

Alvey shipped this morning...

Very interesting about the worms. Its just this sort of information that is so beneficial to collect.

I remember near 100mile house there was a bait guy that supplied glow-in-the-dark worms with UV. They were day-glow,  big and healthy...wonder how those would do?

jim

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »

if you are a strong person physically, then working the bug pump will be okay. But if you have a weak back/ neck/ or shoulder you will soon realize the pain and stiffness, and give it to your stronger friend.
Note that there is a limit on possession of ghost shrimp, as the CO will question you when you get back from the beach.
Yes they do catch all of the 3 species you mentioned.
some people prefer to keep them without water, in a pail but they don't last long.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »

layer with newspaper and seaweed, change paper couple times a day.

seaweed on the bottom, layer of newspaper or paper towels put 6 or so shrimps on the paper, just keep layering. seaweed,newspaper,shrimps,seaweed,newspaper,shrimps ect.  put in fridge.  Watch out! they can escape, I think its funny, the wife not so much.
they are fragile, remove dead ones and keep changing paper, if they have broken backs dont put them with your good ones.
they will last a week or more.