Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano river?  (Read 19365 times)

fish fear me

Capilano river?
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »

Hi was thinking of taking m son to the cap but was wondering what the most prolific fish is in there right now and how to best target it (with the current bait ban) also probably won't target chinook as are rods only 8lb and 10lb test. (going either Saturday or sunday so hope to get a some tips soon.) Thanks  ;).

ray

• I'm a llama!
Re: Capilano river?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »

coho. spoons and spinners

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »

Water is very low at the moment:

http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/

Not sure if fish can enter the system when the water is soooo low.

fish fear me

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »

thanks for the replies we can't really go anywhere else as we don't have much time an the cap is pretty close the only other options would be the fraser or one of the smaller creeks in north van (lynn creek, seymour river...)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »

thanks for the replies we can't really go anywhere else as we don't have much time an the cap is pretty close the only other options would be the fraser or one of the smaller creeks in north van (lynn creek, seymour river...)

Rice Lake is pretty close to you and they just stocked it recently. 

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »

I think the Seymour is closed. rice was stocked again yesterday or was supposed to be.

4TheKids

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:36:14 PM »

Rice Lake. Seymour is closed and the Cap is not a family friendly place for a lot of reasons.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »

If taking your son, then rice lake is the best place to go.  The Seymour is closed.  Lynn Creek only has a small population of small trout. 

In rice Lake, fly fishing is generally very productive, stripping a leech pattern or chartreuse power bait or worms off the bottom or from a float.

GL and please post a report.

Silver

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »

I was at the Cap today just for kicks...I always like the experience, but fishing the low water is mostly a waste of time.

There are several factors that have to all come together simultaneously for a successful day, and other considerations to make that day enjoyable. I am still learning its nuances, but I know that if you go unprepared you will be disappointed. Also, the pools range from moderately difficult access to somewhat dangerous with slick sloping rocks and areas to wade...not even considering the cable pool.

I too want to bring my kid fishing, but not without all of the preparations first...not a place to go on a whim.
Sounds like you will be restricted to gear fishing, so another thing is the river is very snaggy and you will go through lots of lures...best to make a bunch up first from cheap A&N parts.

If you insist on going, the Keith road pool under the highway bridge would be the least objectionable option to bring a child...the goat trail is not too bad, and the river bank is flat. There is a pool with cohos and maybe a spring or two.

With your light rods Rice lake is your best bet for this weekend. You will do well with yellow powerbait fished off the bottom with a sliding weight.

fish fear me

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »

we will probably go to rice I didn't know it was stocked yesterday. Just out of curiosity how did you know it was stocked? the recent fish releases page on goofs bc hasn't yet been updated, I noticed it usually lags a day or two behind and knowing earlier would be useful. Thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 11:16:19 PM »

Stocking updates are usually up within a day on one of GoFishBC's social media these days:

https://www.facebook.com/gofishbc
https://twitter.com/Go_Fish_BC

fish fear me

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »

thanks rod

fish fear me

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »

went to rice for about an hour and a half fishing wasn't great no one on the dock caught anything accept this one guy using a rig I've never seen before. it was a thin scented rubber worm maybe 3 inches long about a meter and a half bellow a very small slip float almost looked like a strike indicator from fly fishing, his english wasn't very good but he said it was a pro or professional float he got in the states. there where also some guys fishing on rock outcropping closish to the dock and they caught a few. (I think they where bottom fishing powerbait). Anyways we where float fishing deli shrimp with powerboat scent and casting small lures but just got some tentative nibbles on the shrimp.

Silver

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 03:10:32 PM »

I did the circuit of urban lakes in the spring after stocking. Used an impressive selection of bait and lures...nothing was working even with some people hooking up multiple times beside me.
Even tried cured shrimp from a member tip and nothing...funny, even at Sasamat the dock minnows seem to be repelled to the cured ones, and would ball around the plain ones?

Spent 3 solid days at Rice Lake with nothing to show...several other lakes also.

Then went to Como and met a German fellow who has fished and observed the stocked lakes for decades. He told me what to do, and ten minutes later caught one and then another.
I went to Lafarge with this method and caught many more.

Stocked trout eat pellets, if you can bait them without spooking them this is the most effective method. Sure, a fly will work...but the only reason it seems more effective is that the bite commitment is more guaranteed because of its small size. Most of the time with bait, the fisher will scare the fish from premature hook setting when the fish is just tasting the bait.
The trout mouth the bait several times first before committing to the bite.

Use a small hook with a chickpea sized yellow power bait ball. Perfectly cover the entire hook so that only the slightest bit of the point protrudes out of the marble shaped bait. Dip the baited hook in the water for 10 seconds or so, then pull out of the water and air dry for 30 seconds or so. This melts and hardens the bait on the hook so when you cast it stays on. Also, the trout will suck and spit the bait several times before committing...the hook placement is critical to not scare the fish, yet hook up when he bites
Use a short leader 20-24 inches with 4 or 6 lb test...and longer and it doesn't work as well.
Small sliding weight to a bead and swivel...just enough to cast out.
Prop up rod on a twig with slight tension and wait.
Don't touch it until rod tip bends consistently...little taps leave it alone.
Don't fish the dock...go in the forest off the trail and find a spot in the shade.

hrenya

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »

i was at rice yesterday and today (29/15) my bud (18/18) .
silver , I disagree with you about few things :

1) 85% of the time trout bites before I even finish tightening my line so I don't think they scared/spooked , I think they very curious .
2) where is no need to hide a hook , if I use dough (I grab some of it and roll a ball and keep rolling it for a minute or so , and it last me for quite a bit , but you have to do it with dry fingers) I always leave end of hook , if you use small hooks and cover it all - 95% if will swallow it (we had to keep 3 yesterday and 2 today because of them swallow)
3)trout not carp or sturgeon :) they can just take it (from my experience) . and I always hold my rod , especially after casting and slowly tightening line , if no action right away I leave it a bit bent and carefully grab it even on a small taps because if you will wait for your rod to bend hard - this means it already swallowed it :( or you can have a situation when you have fish on , and it ran into a snag .. (happened yesterday to my bud , today to me ...)
4) my leader is at least 3-4 feet if I cast into a "hole"

The method you described is to "catch and keep" , I prefer to play with setting a hook on a small taps , this way fish is almost always ok after releasing it .

I agree with you on "don't fish the dock" part :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 08:41:03 PM by hrenya »