Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish ID App  (Read 11791 times)

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
Re: Fish ID App
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »

Here is an iPhone app I made for beginners: I will put it up on the App Store for download soon...every bit of education helps in the long run. It shows all the species...I will probably add Steelhead.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:18:36 PM by fishmonk »

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »

What we need is an app like Shazam, where you snap a pic of your fish and it tells you what it is.
Just found this great idea. I'd add a feature that would take your GPS and tell you the current retention rules.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »

But how long do have to juggle a phone and keep the fish in water before the answer?
Good idea but I feel those that can't identify would be prone to dragging the fish up onto the beach to be sure.
And that happens enough already.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »

But how long do have to juggle a phone and keep the fish in water before the answer?

About five seconds if my experience last weekend is any indication, where I lost two coho at my feet while fumbling for my phone (I was sure they were coho, but they were both wild and I just wanted a photo).  Both fish were just resting at my feet in knee deep water while I tried to fish the phone out of my breast pocket, I had the leader in my hand, and they both just did a last desperate flip and spat the hook and swam away sans photo.  I finally managed to get this one to stay long enough to snap the pic.

Not all those who wander are lost

rockonfishing

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »

I would love a fish id app, even though I have fished for 15 years in BC I still get confused, and if I can't id I don't keep.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »

I understand the picture taking part of the equation but I was referring to the additional time aspect of using the app to identify the fish.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »

Gotta agree with Burbot and Clarki on this one...

I am all for cool apps, and I don't see a problem with a fish Id app if you are going to use it for occasional review, or whatever as long as you are not trying to ID a fish laying there  flapping on the beach/in your boat (!) I have a problem with anglers trying to identify a fish with such an app with a hook in the fishes mouth, or the fish in the net...you get the idea.

It baffles me the % of anglers I run into who can not be bothered to remember the identifying characteristics of only 5 salmon! I introduced a friend to river fishing this summer/fall. The first few times he came out pink fishing he had no idea how to tell what was what, what the limits were, and I was okay with that as he was a newbie and just trying it out. But when he decided he liked it, and went and bought his own gear, I flat out told him you MUST spend as much time as you need with the fish ID pics, memorise it, because if you want to fish with me and my buddies you NEED to know this stuff! And of course when you fish on your own! And while you're at it take note of the diff limits for the rivers we'll be fishing and memorise that too.

Next time we went fishing I was impressed. He had made himself some flash cards with a cut out pic of a salmon on the front, and on the back the "answer" along with a few of the main identifying characteristics for each salmon. He told me to quiz him, and I did, and he knew it all! And this guy only started fishing a few months ago. If he can do it there is no excuse for others.

I agree that, sadly, there should be a CORE like test you need to pass before you can get an angler's license.

As Milo said. Make an effort people! Use some common sense! You had to memorise some stuff to get your driver's license, your boater's license, your post secondary education if you have one, probably some important stuff for your job - how hard is it to memorise some fish ID stuff?! :o

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 03:37:29 PM »

I don't know how I would survive if I didn't have my trusty app to remind me how to put the toilet seat down for the wife! :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:57:54 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »

I think a handy app to help remind a new angler before they go out fishing or to help a buddy who has tailed a fish in shallow water would be very helpfull.  The more information the better, then make it a mandatory test to get your ticket each and every year!

I don't no how I would survive if I didn't have my trusty app to remind me how to put the toilet seat down for the wife! :P

Does she have an app to leave the seat up for you?  :)

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »

Does she have an app to leave the seat up for you?  :)
Nope, but thanks for the idea! 8)
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 06:31:26 PM »

How about you use the app just prior to the start of fishing. If your fishing a specific body of water you should be aware of the species that are present. Than you look at your phone and review the differences in species. Even with the app you should always release when unsure.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »

Brilliant idea!
Hey!
We have the internet that you're all reading NOW!
And the info is all here.
And an app will fix it only for those that probably know enough to  care and know a head of time, but not enough for those that don't give a fig.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »

How about you just turn to the middle page of the regulations booklet?