Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish ID App  (Read 11796 times)

BananasQ

Fish ID App
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:29:28 AM »

I've been seeing a common theme lately in many threads of people struggling to identify fish or choosing not too. Since 99% of people have smart phones does anyone know of any apps that do help anglers recognize what they have caught here in the Pacific NW? If not, does anyone help fancy making one? If you can provide logic and help with pics I can cobble something together. As ever, education is the best tool. TIA.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Re: Fish ID App
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »

iFish BC is sort of helpful, though the ID section is somewhat lacking.

What we need is an app like Shazam, where you snap a pic of your fish and it tells you what it is...;)

Or we need to petition the manufacturers to add labels to their fish.

TimL

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »

I could try make one ;) The Washington state department of fisheries and wildlife website has a good identification guide to the local salt and freshwater game fish. There are also several field guides available for Pacific NW fishes mostly for fish ID nerds like me ;D but there are some that are useful to the average lay person. Fish ID does require a bit of practice..I recommend regularly visiting the local fresh fish market to practice with a reference/field guide. .you won 't have to kill any fish plus it's easy to access.

Burbot

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »

There should be a 'core' type programme for fishermen like their is for hunting as far too many can not tell a Pink from a Chum etc

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »

I could try make one ;) The Washington state department of fisheries and wildlife website has a good identification guide to the local salt and freshwater game fish. There are also several field guides available for Pacific NW fishes mostly for fish ID nerds like me ;D but there are some that are useful to the average lay person. Fish ID does require a bit of practice..I recommend regularly visiting the local fresh fish market to practice with a reference/field guide. .you won 't have to kill any fish plus it's easy to access.

I made one already. I saved these to my phone and can call them up at any time.
Not all those who wander are lost

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »

I made one already. I saved these to my phone and can call them up at any time.

This is good. 

Could you post a link to the original source so that I can do the same.  While I am now pretty comfortable at the ID business, it's good to be 100% sure and it's would be a useful tool to show others who are less experienced.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »

I would shudder to think how people 10 years ago used to ID fish without the use of an app.

In all honesty, I believe what needs to happen is an attitude change as opposed to an app.  Besides, not every fish out there is a perfect specimen.  My fisheries class caught a kokanee while gill netting that had spotting on the back and a fully spotted tail.  That would have been fun to id if it wasn't in spawning colours.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 12:28:01 AM »

Hi Clarkii,

What attitude change would you like to see?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »

It needs a Steelhead picture as well.
Too many of those are mis- ID-ed as an in season salmon as well as the fact that you need a tag for retention on open rivers.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »

Hi Clarkii,
What attitude change would you like to see?

I guess he is referring to the attitude of relying exclusively on technology for so many things that only require a bit of effort and  common sense.
Just think about this scenario: You are alone, and you just landed a fish you are not sure you can identify. You go for your phone to turn on the app, but the phone slips out of your hand and falls in the drink. Unless it is waterproof (how many of you fish with WP phones?), how are you going to identify the fish if you rely exclusively on the app?

I totally agree with Burbot on this one - there SHOULD indeed be a Core-type test for fishermen as well. I am really getting sick of seeing so many people on the flow displaying utter ignorance and disregard for fellow anglers and fish. Fishing is NOT a right (unless you are FN), it is a PRIVILEGE, so treat it like one. Or risk losing it one day.

TimL

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »

WA department of fish & wildlife rec fishing website:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/

I prefer using the ID guides there than on the DFO website..more detailed info, better photos, and more species coverage.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »

This is good. 

Could you post a link to the original source so that I can do the same.  While I am now pretty comfortable at the ID business, it's good to be 100% sure and it's would be a useful tool to show others who are less experienced.

Yes, this was off the WA Fish and Wildlife site:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/pac_salmon_id.pdf I just saved it iBooks

There is one for spawning phase too.
Not all those who wander are lost

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »

Nice and clear, thanks!

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:07 PM »

I guess he is referring to the attitude of relying exclusively on technology for so many things that only require a bit of effort and  common sense.
Just think about this scenario: You are alone, and you just landed a fish you are not sure you can identify. You go for your phone to turn on the app, but the phone slips out of your hand and falls in the drink. Unless it is waterproof (how many of you fish with WP phones?), how are you going to identify the fish if you rely exclusively on the app?

thats part of it.  The other attitude I would like to see changed is "I live therefore I have a right to bonk whatever I want" or the "I bought my license what more do they want"/ "I bought my license so I have free reign".  As much as we hate to admit it, those types are still out there.  Most people, if they care about the resource will make sure they have brushed up on their ID before they head out. 

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 11:55:23 AM »

I grew up on the coast and identifying salmon from the chuck was second nature from an early age but I well remember seeing a bunch of salmon the natives had caught up near Yale.  These fish were in that stage where they had lost their ocean appearance but hadn't developed spawning colours. I had to look two or three times to ascertain the species.  In addition, up until that point in my life I seem not to have come across many Chum.  So I am sympathetic to newcomers and beginners who have problem identifying a salmon.  Faced with a fish flopping on the shore, even for those who have studied the pictures, the book learning gets a bit confused.  And we have seen discussion on this site where all the 'experts' didn't agree at first sight of some fish.

It isn't that difficult but identification requires some experience and that takes time for us all.