Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reasonable casting length...  (Read 14615 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Reasonable casting length...
« on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »

Just got a fly rod for the first time and have been practicing casting.

I'm just curious, what should a reasonable casting distance expectation be?

I'm able to get down nearly to the backing, right to it every now and then.

With a 9' rod, what can be accomplished?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Reasonable casting length...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 06:20:56 PM »

IF your getting to the backing then your doing extremely well for a new caster. On my best days I can get out 10-20 feet of backing through the rod tip. Never is this necessary except the odd time beach fishing. My normal range of distance is probably more like 30-80' depending on lakes or rivers and how far I need to go to reach the fish. I very seldom need to go more than 60' on a lake, it's a lot easier to just move the boat closer to the fish LoL  ;)

Is your fly line one of the cheaper 55-60' lines or a full 90' fly line ?
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »

I've never had the need to cast to my backing. The local fishing opportunities don't really require that type of distance. If I want to bomb line I pull out the Sage Z Axis Spey Rod.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »

Not sure, probably the 55 length. It's a Redington combo kit, so I wouldn't expect top of the line er...line.

Just went back out to the park and was able to shoot line kinda consistent, but I don't think I'm ready to try it with a hook yet. I think I'd end up turning my waders into a pin cushion. I think I'm pretty reliable out to say 30-35 ft, that has to be enough for most of the places I know of to fish, save for maybe ambleside or furry creek. But I have all winter to get ready for that. See some pretty amazing casting there for sure.

Talking with my roommate, who has fly fished before, he told me that the 'left hand thing everyone does' is called double haul, and that was definitely enough to get another 15 feet.

Rather fun, really...

jimmywits

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »

IF your getting to the backing then your doing extremely well for a new caster. On my best days I can get out 10-20 feet of backing through the rod tip. Never is this necessary except the odd time beach fishing. My normal range of distance is probably more like 30-80' depending on lakes or rivers and how far I need to go to reach the fish. I very seldom need to go more than 60' on a lake, it's a lot easier to just move the boat closer to the fish LoL  ;)

Is your fly line one of the cheaper 55-60' lines or a full 90' fly line ?

x2  I have read that most fish are hooked within 40 feet of the boat.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »

There is a single haul and a double haul. Single is when you pull the line with your free hand on the backcast motion, double haul is when you pull the line simultaneously as your doing your forward cast. The double is great for doing big long shoots but is mainly used to create better line speeds for distance and/or accuracy.

there is hardly ever a need to cast your entire fly line out however being able to do so is a bonus if you're ever presented with a situation in which you need to and don't have the option of grabbing another setup at the time (like a spey or switch rod)
Check out our new blog

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »

Turns out it's easier to cast on grass. About 30' in the stream at best. More practice...:)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:14:12 PM »

distance is less than half the game when it comes to fly casting to catch fish. In trout fishing most fish are caught within 30 feet of where the angler is standing. Also as important if not more so in many situations is accuracy, delicacy (landing the line on the water with a minimum of splash or disturbance), line handling and mending and how quickly you can cast the distance you need to cast. Best skill I ever learned was how to cast 60 to 70 feet or more with a single back cast. Best lesson was if you are false casting more than 3x you are wasting fishing time and energy. If you can cast 30 to 40 feet reasonably well you have the distance you need so concentrate on the other aspects - that will make you a better fisher.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 10:03:36 PM »

I am definitely wasting time and efficiency, no doubt there at all...:)

More practice I guess. Shucks, I'll have to go fishing!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:05:26 AM »

Best lesson was if you are false casting more than 3x you are wasting fishing time and energy.

Great suggestion here by RalphH - I subscribe to the same belief and it's been one of the best casting tips I've ever applied (along with "slow down so your rod can load" and "turn your head and watch each backcast").

First back cast is from picking up your line.
Second back cast is to get some additional line out to "load" your rod.
Third back cast should be to finish loading your rod and prepare to shoot the line forward.

If you three backcasts only allows you to cast 20 feet, then that's good enough for now. Force yourself to stick to the 3 false cast rule and it will FORCE you to learn the right technique to get more line out. If you allow yourself too many false casts you'll always be able to wiggle out a bit more line, but you're not really learning the proper technique.

Cheers!
Tex

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »

Great suggestion here by RalphH - I subscribe to the same belief and it's been one of the best casting tips I've ever applied (along with "slow down so your rod can load" and "turn your head and watch each backcast").

First back cast is from picking up your line.
Second back cast is to get some additional line out to "load" your rod.
Third back cast should be to finish loading your rod and prepare to shoot the line forward.

If you three backcasts only allows you to cast 20 feet, then that's good enough for now. Force yourself to stick to the 3 false cast rule and it will FORCE you to learn the right technique to get more line out. If you allow yourself too many false casts you'll always be able to wiggle out a bit more line, but you're not really learning the proper technique.

Cheers!
Tex

X3 At one of the urban lakes I witnessed a guy false cast 19 timesbefore finally making his cast. You can hear the whoosh, whoosh whoosh as his flyline was going back and forth.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »

There is a single haul and a double haul. Single is when you pull the line with your free hand on the backcast motion, double haul is when you pull the line simultaneously as your doing your forward cast.

I'm pretty sure you meant the double haul is pulling the with your free hand on both the back cast and again on the forecast.

One of the objectives of the double haul is shooting line. This is when the caster lets go of the line held with the free hand (left hand for rh casters) when the forward cast is completed or when the back cast is completed. The free line will hopefully shoot through the guides and off the top of the rod. This can add 5 to 10 or more meters to the cast. Most people shoot line on the forward cast. Shooting on the back cast is for accomplished casters. I do it sometimes. It's a neat trick to get a lot of line out in a hurry.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »

Hmm, I'm doing it both stroke, so double haul. But getting more like 5ft in real life.

Guess I need to practice again tomorrow afternoon. At least by the end of last session I was able to keep the back cast off the rocks. Smashed quite a few flies on them in the morning. Popped quite a few too like a bullwhip which has to be about timing...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 06:06:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure you meant the double haul is pulling the with your free hand on both the back cast and again on the forecast.

One of the objectives of the double haul is shooting line. This is when the caster lets go of the line held with the free hand (left hand for rh casters) when the forward cast is completed or when the back cast is completed. The free line will hopefully shoot through the guides and off the top of the rod. This can add 5 to 10 or more meters to the cast. Most people shoot line on the forward cast. Shooting on the back cast is for accomplished casters. I do it sometimes. It's a neat trick to get a lot of line out in a hurry.

Yes and No however I believe I said it correctly the first time. Single haul is when you pull the line as the rod goes behind you, the double haul is when the rod comes forward. In order to call it a double haul you need to be doing both. When I started fly fishing I could only do a single for awhile until I learned the proper way to get in the double haul, lots of new casters can only single haul because it's easier and feels more natural. Now I do them without even thinking about it 99% of the time (I get lazy when casting short distance)

Biggest thing is whether your having fun out there learning
Check out our new blog

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 11:58:53 PM »

Biggest thing is whether your having fun out there learning

X2
It ain't the roe bro'