Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Fish Cakes  (Read 5033 times)

Animal Chin

Salmon Fish Cakes
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:44:23 PM »

This is especially good for pinks or chum, or any of the species that could be helped with some seasoning.

I try to use all of the fish that I harvest. And since my fileting skills is sometimes lacking, I use a teaspoon and scrape along the carcass to get at all the excess flesh that I missed. I normally use this for my cakes (less chopping too).

The exact measurements aren't really important, or what you decide to put into it for that matter. I'd avoid or keep to a minimum the use of fresh ingredients and only add dry ingredients as this will prevent the final product from being soggy.

First, I use a little potato as binder and use as little as possible because I want the cakes to be mostly fish. Like half of a small potato. Salt water, boil till soft, drain, mash with fork, put into fridge to cool.

Dice up salmon fine. Place in bowl with:

- onion soup mix (I use half a pouch, your call)
- lots of dry dill
- Chili flakes
- sea salt (your call, soup mix has lots of sodium)
- pepper
- lemon zest (optional, more work, zest=shaved lemon skin)
- one egg white (less with less salmon or too soggy).
- and whatever spices you think would work

Add cooled mashed potato to bowl. Mix well with spoon or fork.

Make cakes. I scoop one tablespoon and make a cake out of that. The smaller and flatter, the tastier. More panko more crunch. But more frying too, so your call. Way easier if you're wearing latex gloves while making cakes.

***Dredge and cover heavily in panko*** ... panko is awesome.

The frying part: use sunflower or an oil that can tolerate high heat. Heat oil and then add a good helping of butter. The butter is key as it'll brown the cakes nicely. Also try to keep the pan hot. IF the pan isn't hot enough, the cakes will absorb the oil. You'll know because the oil mix will begin to disappear.

Brown cakes. I'd say 2 minutes a side, give or take.

Place on paper towels for few minutes and serve. Goes great with rice. I find they're better the next day.. so make a batch. Just re-heat in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:45:11 AM by Animal Chin »

Riverman

• old fart
Re: Salmon Fish Cakes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »

I will try this tomorrow with the coho gleanings from today's batch of smoked fish.Will report back.Have not had great luck with my other cakes staying together.I did not add egg white so we will see.Looking forward to the experiment.
Riverman

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »

Happy to report that this recipe was a hit.Long ball.Had some tempura batter so dredged cakes in that for an experiment prior to copious amount of Panco.Crispy.Stayed together well.Also sprinkled with sea-salt and a little soy.In fridge over night prior to making salmon into cakes.Yum.I would pay good money for these!Thanks.To think of all the fish I have wasted over the years when I could have been making these.
Riverman

Animal Chin

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »

Nice. Panko is the best. I too like lots of sea salt on them, makes a huge difference. I inadvertently over-salt so now I do it after. I agree, sometimes I catch fish that is so mint it seems a total waste to leave any on the bone, this recipe solves that dilemma.