Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Line weight rating of a rod  (Read 2961 times)

KarateKick

Line weight rating of a rod
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »

I just saw a rod with a line weight rating of 4-20 lbs.  It seems like a big range of line weights.  Does that mean it will work well with either a 4-lb line on a size 20 reel or 20-lb line on a size 40 reel?  What other factors determine whether or not a reel is a good match for a rod?

KarateKick

Re: Line weight rating of a rod
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »

I've done more reading but I am still confused.  The example I m looking at is a Whuppin Stick spinning rod with the following rating:

length = 10'
   power = medium
   line weight = 4 to 20 lb

Does the "medium" mean I should be using something like a size 30 reel with 10-lb line?  Can you really trust the manufacturer's line weight rating?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »

--I do not have one of these rods so can only generalize.
--This is a fiberglass rod... the reason there is such a broad range of line weight is that the rod will be limber some will say floppy.
--The medium designation means a smooth bend throughout the rod...yet with enough power to turn a fish when using heavier line.

-- This smooth bend also allows use of light line as the rod is going to bend rather than having your line break.

-- As to size of reel... I would say use a larger reel to help balance the rod... with a small reel the rod is going to feel tip heavy

--The issue you may have is using light line will be the drag on a larger reel. Smooth drag...usually more money...however as this rod has a lot of flex it will help reduce line breakage due to drag not being smooth.

--Generally these fiberbglass rods are work horses and can take a bit of abuse.

--Some will not like the slower action others will love it.

KarateKick

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »

Thank you so much Skaha!  I think I understand now:
  • The line weight's lower limit depends on the "action" of the rod; the slower/softer the rod is, the lighter the line can be.
  • The line weight's upper limit depends on the "power" of the rod; the heavier/stronger the rod is, the heavier the line can be.
The large range of line weights means a bigger fish will bend the rod a lot but will not break it.

Even though the rod can handle lighter lines, you'd probably use a heavier line, because you need a heavy reel to balance the weight of the rod, and big reels tend to require heavier line.

brandooner

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:06:38 PM »

Even though the rod can handle lighter lines, you'd probably use a heavier line, because you need a heavy reel to balance the weight of the rod, and big reels tend to require heavier line.

yep
4-20lb means any line weight from 4 pound test to 20 pound test is suitable for the rod.
The Fishin' Musician!