Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 87622 times)

rheticus

Re: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »

Let's not start getting too specific about locations. Anyone can find the south arm of the Fraser on Google Maps and take it from there. And any fish that starts in the ocean and spawns, say, in the C/V, has to swim the whole way from Steveston to the Canal. There's no special spot where they stop for lunch!

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2015, 09:37:57 PM »

Should I just drive along Dyke Road and look for locations with parking spots?

As a starting point that's actually a good idea. Follow the crowds to figure out the productive areas to start with and then go from there.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2015, 10:07:13 PM »

Let's not start getting too specific about locations. Anyone can find the south arm of the Fraser on Google Maps and take it from there. And any fish that starts in the ocean and spawns, say, in the C/V, has to swim the whole way from Steveston to the Canal. There's no special spot where they stop for lunch!
Brownsville, deas island, no 3, Gary point, derby reach. This isn't an exclusive fishery. Personally I hit deas, park in the second row at the far lot. Walk straight to the water (don't take the trail) and when your knee deep at 3/4 high tide move 3 boulders and one stone over. Nailed 80 fish in 3 casts! Every day!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

markyboy

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »

Started out today in the same spot on the south arm where I had all the success yesterday and didn't get a bite in over an hour and a half. Headed over to the North Arm and it was super quiet. After blanking there as well , headed back to the original spot for an hour and landed two fish and missed two in about 45 minutes.

I agree with the comments that the North Arm typically shows later than the South arm and generally in smaller numbers but I've certainly had it produce really well when the south arm begins to fall off later in the season (the challenge is because of the closures , I'm not sure where we are in the season yet).

Nine times out of ten the south arm seems to fish better so I'd recommend focussing there and only switch if nothing is happening.

Tangles

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2015, 01:56:46 AM »

I heard the gill netters were already out in full force yesterday so we might hold up on the catching spree for a couple of days :/

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 07:47:27 AM »

While fishing for pinks, I hooked a 2lb pike minnow which I released.  Now I am thinking may be I should have kept it just to see what it tastes like.  Anybody tried it before?  It sure didn't fight as hard as the pinks.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »

I've noticed in the Langley maple ridge area a pretty good number of fish moving. They all seem too be a little deeper then I usually go and there not rising as much but the numbers are really good. I've found the smaller the lure the better.

danielk

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »

Yes I noticed also yesterday smaller lures and crocks were killing it. I should have switched. But was stuck on my Colorado blade.  Two years ago they devastated pinks.   But not yesterday  :'(

ratfish

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:23 PM »

What a difference!! Went out first thing opening day on the lower fraser to my fav pinking hole. Pinks rolling everywhere!! Everyone caught Pinks! Today almost nothing. Only one Pink caught between 15 fishers. Almost no Pinks rolling. Lots of boats pulling red balloons around though. Anyone else notice how small the pinks are this year or did I get into a school of small Pinks yesterday? When I mean small I mean less than 5 pounds.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 12:59:52 PM »

I used pink spinners on the north arm in the early afternoon, and didn't get a single bite.  Maybe I wasn't casting far enough from shore.

Did you see any fish on the surface splashing or fining?  If not they were probably not there.  Pinks are a sight fishery, you fish where you see them.  If you don't see them they are probably not there in large numbers.  A pink spinner is perfect, as long as you can reach the fish you can see.

As others have said, the south arm has a stronger pink run.

As a starting point that's actually a good idea. Follow the crowds to figure out the productive areas to start with and then go from there.

I second this idea.  Follow the crowds because they are following the fish.  Also do not be shy of trying a lot of different places.  If you have not caught or seen any fish within 0.5 to 1 hour, try another location.  Also it is better to try after high tide, when the fish tend to push up the river.  The further up the Fraser you are located the longer after the high tide you wait.  I don't fish it much so do not know the timings.  Someone else could probably chime in.

Brownsville, deas island, no 3, Gary point, derby reach. This isn't an exclusive fishery. Personally I hit deas, park in the second row at the far lot. Walk straight to the water (don't take the trail) and when your knee deep at 3/4 high tide move 3 boulders and one stone over. Nailed 80 fish in 3 casts! Every day!

Some great suggestions there, Google maps is your friend.  Try them all, the more you go out, the more you will learn about what locations produce at what times relative to the tides.  Ask people if they fish there often and they will generally share some information with you.

Good luck and I hope you get into lots of fish!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:02:05 PM by Knnn »

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »

gillnetters were out in full force by the alex fraser bridge.... no way for fish to get by !!!!

ratfish

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

Yeah I saw the gillnetters too but why are the pinks so small this year? Sorry just wondering.. Can someone post a pic of a big Fraser pink as they are known for?

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »

Yeah I saw the gillnetters too but why are the pinks so small this year? Sorry just wondering.. Can someone post a pic of a big Fraser pink as they are known for?

Rod and I talked about this the other day, he suggested it shows the lack of availability of food in the ocean. This may be why we are experiencing smaller size, and lower numbers this year. The Eco system is all one.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 02:35:09 PM »

fish I caught Friday were about average with previous years. I caught some bucks that must have been 5lbs. Biggest I ever killed was 7.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dcajaxs

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 02:42:36 PM »

I am taking my nephew out on Tuesday for pink fishing.  Its the only day that works for him but the high tide is 5pm and he has to be home at that time.  Is it worth even trying mid day in the tidal fraser for pinks or should I just take him to a river system that already has pinks in it?