Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 87604 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »

The Lower Fraser River pink salmon fishery opens on September 5th!

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=175485&ID=all

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=175480&ID=all

As always, this thread is set up to provide background information for beginners who would like to get into this fishery.  You are also encouraged to provide updates throughout the season, not necessarily the exact fishing spots where you are successfully catching them, but river condition, catch count, tide timing can all be very helpful to other anglers. Please do not ask others where they are fishing, you can do so by email or private messaging. If they wish to publicly disclose their fishing spot, they will voluntarily post it.

This discussion is not only limited to the tidal portion of the Fraser River, but the entire Lower Fraser River up to Hope where this fishery is available.

Background Information

If you have never tried the Fraser River pink salmon fishery and are unfamiliar with it, I have put together an article on how to catch them with spinning gear. You can read it at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/estuary_fishing/fishing_for_tidal_fraser_pink_salmon.html

There is also a video feature from four years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAIqI5rFZv8

Season, Timing and Locations

You can catch pink salmon in the Fraser River during odd years in as early as mid August, but the fishery typically starts in the last week of August. The first two weeks of September can be excellent. By the third week of September, it tapers off but you can still encounter the odd fish until the end of September.

The last three hours of incoming tide is usually best at most spots, but some locations can produce fish at any given tide. Sometimes fish will also enter the Fraser River when the tide is low. It is best to visit a spot several times at different tides to determine when it is most productive.

You can catch pink salmon at any spot along the Fraser River. They will enter both North and South Arms of the Tidal Fraser River in Richmond and Vancouver, converge into one arm in New Westminster. River/Dyke Roads along the shorelines of Richmond and Delta are popular spots. The south shoreline along Langley and Mission can be popular. Going further upstream, the popular gravel bars between Chilliwack and Hope will all produce.

Important Fish Identification Information

When the pink salmon fishery is taking place in the Lower Fraser River, several other salmon species will also be making their way through the river. Some of these species are closed for retention so you must release them with care by keeping them in the water at all time and using a catch and release net. Sockeye salmon, coho salmon and steelhead are required to be released unless stated otherwise. Wild trout and char are also required to be released. It is your responsibility to identify these fish correctly. If you are unsure what species you have at the end of your line, please let it go. Here are some photographs for reference.

Pink Salmon

Coho Salmon

Sockeye Salmon

Bull Trout

Regulations

Beside your tidal or non-tidal fishing licence (depending on where on the Fraser River you are fishing), you must purchase a salmon stamp/conservation surcharge if you wish to keep your pink salmon. Make sure you are using a single barbless hook. The daily quota of pink salmon is TWO per day this year!

The following links are regulations which you should be familiar with. Please check them regularly as in-season regulation changes may occur.

Advise and help new anglers who may not be familiar with the regulations. If it is apparent that they are aware of the regulations but choose to ignore them, you can report the violations by phoning 604-607-4186 or 1-800-465-4336.

Good luck and have fun in the next six weeks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:56:44 PM by Rodney »

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Re: 2015 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 05:43:27 PM »

It is stupid that they also opened the upper fraser for retention aswell, talk about pressure on sockeye.

Apennock

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 05:52:40 PM »

At least it will spread out the crowd instead of us all defending of the Vedder.

markyboy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:43:10 PM »

With the estimates at the low end, it might be challenging to hook them in the lower Fraser.

Fished lower fraser C&R this afternoon for and hour and a half on the incoming tide, lots of fish. Eleven hookups in total but only landed five, all male and all very fresh. One other couple fishing where I was and both got fish.

Surprising how few fish were showing on top of the water but they were there in good numbers today (likely they knew that the opening was tomorrow and they are all making a dash for it).

Tangles

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »

Remember the limit changed to 2.
also note the bait ban:

The use of bait and fishing for coho is prohibited from 00:01 hours Tuesday,
September 8, 2015 to 23:59 hours Friday, October 9, 2015.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 08:29:17 PM »

Fished lower fraser C&R this afternoon for and hour and a half on the incoming tide, lots of fish. Eleven hookups in total but only landed five, all male and all very fresh. One other couple fishing where I was and both got fish.

Surprising how few fish were showing on top of the water but they were there in good numbers today (likely they knew that the opening was tomorrow and they are all making a dash for it).

Thanks for the report and lets hope they are way underestimating the 6 million run size.
Also, you're lucky you didn't get ticketed.  C&R for pinks in the lower Fraser was not allowed. 

They announced a complete closure to salmon fishing in the below notice. Until they announce an opening, it means it's still closed.
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=174388&ID=all
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:46:41 PM by fic »

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:35:08 PM »

Hello all new to fishing for pinks. Is saperton landing a good place to fish , Is it a the major channel?

Tangles

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »

Pretty much everywhere along the Fraser, as long as you have casting room and you time the tides you'll be fine.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »

thanks for the reply, Also i know this is off topic but does jigging or casting spoons work better on the cap mouth

Tangles

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »

Jigging is absolutely deadly techique, unfortunately most people don't know how to do it properly. I've noticed way too many people lifting the rod way too fast, resulting in consistently foul hooking the fish. You need to lift your rod tip "gently" and if you feel bumps on your lure DON'T set the hook,  those are the backs of the fish underneath. 99% of the true hookups are when your lure is dropping in freefall anyway.

markyboy

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »

Thanks for the report and lets hope they are way underestimating the 6 million run size.
Also, you're lucky you didn't get ticketed.  C&R for pinks in the lower Fraser was not allowed.

From Rod's Facebook page... I will see if I can find it in the regs.

The tidal and non-tidal portions of the Fraser River are current open for salmon fishing and chinook salmon retention. Retention of all other salmon species (pink, coho, chum, sockeye) is closed so they must be released with great care when you catch one. Because it is a retention closure, not a fishing closure, you can indeed catch and release them, but please keep in mind that incidental catches of sockeye salmon are highly discouraged as all of you are aware of, their number is low.

I've found Rod pretty reliable on the regs , certainly better than me :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »

They announced a complete closure to salmon fishing in the below notice. Until they announce an opening, it means it's still closed.
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=174388&ID=all

That fishery notice was no longer valid when the river reopened for salmon fishing and retention of chinook salmon a week ago. Catching and releasing pink salmon has been perfectly legal.

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 09:44:50 PM »

Jigging is absolutely deadly techique, unfortunately most people don't know how to do it properly. I've noticed way too many people lifting the rod way too fast, resulting in consistently foul hooking the fish. You need to lift your rod tip "gently" and if you feel bumps on your lure DON'T set the hook,  those are the backs of the fish underneath. 99% of the true hookups are when your lure is dropping in freefall anyway.
Thanks will pick some pink jigs up tomm and try around noon

bcleaf

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 01:41:50 PM »

opening day on the Fraser. my morning catch at 3 Road. good luck everyone!  :) :)

http://

TimL

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »

Caught my first pink just earlier today on the incoming tide in the New West area. A 22 inch 4 lb female filled with roe..Thanks again to the guy who helped me net and land it!  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:16:09 PM by TimL »