Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Fly Question...  (Read 7791 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Fly Question...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:01 PM »

I have found that chartreuse works very well, particularly under low light or coloured water.  I have never tried a back to back comparison, however, I suspect that it probably works just as well as pink.  I have often wondered if pinks really do have a fixation on this particular colour.  Over the past couple of months I have been catching pinks on silver flashers, olive buggers, bloody butchers and even a partridge and orange.  I have a feeling pinks are far from discriminating and will hit almost anything if they a) see it and b) it has the right action to prompt a feeding or territorial response.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »

That was on C/V. Total noob, I had to show him how to set his kit up, float depth and such, which is hilarious since it was only my 3rd time on the water. He banged em out. Beginners luck, right?

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 10:31:21 PM »

All I know is my green flies completely out-fished my pink ones on the Squamish river.  So much so that I dropped using pink altogether.

Knn pointed out that the green just shows better when light is low or clarity if poor.  That is the only explanation I can see as to why the green worked so much better for me.   

..will see how this applies on the Tidal Fraser.  I suspect green will work just as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:33:20 PM by fishseeker »