Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Casting Woe's  (Read 13810 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Casting Woe's
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »

Just install some vertical posts in the basket (small dowels or such) to stop the line from tangling.  As for shooting the line, make sure you buy weight forward or shooting head lines as they are easier to shoot. I shoot 60-80 feet with minimal back cast (1-2) on the Fraser shore up from Derby Reach.  To get to full 90+ feet you want to master the double haul, but usually need more of a back cast to get that much one shooting out.
Not all those who wander are lost

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »

Thanks, vertical dowels might help especially when there is a bit of wind blowing my line about.    As for line, I got it as a gift from my sister in law (I think it was the Rio brand and I wish I could recall the technicalities).   When I get round to changing my line I will make sure it is weight forward or shooting head but reluctant to do that in the near future because I know the one I got was a decent quality line that floats beautifully.

As for my rod, I'm pretty sure its a slow action.  Very happy with it and its something I will just have live with. 

The pattern for me is my casting starts of pretty lousy and gets better as the day goes on - it seems like I have to develop a rhythm and, once I have that, I am OKish.   For the most part,  I think I do just fine without monster long casts but it would help when I am trying to fish on tidal waters for sure.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »

The pattern for me is my casting starts of pretty lousy and gets better as the day goes on - it seems like I have to develop a rhythm and, once I have that, I am OKish.   For the most part,  I think I do just fine without monster long casts but it would help when I am trying to fish on tidal waters for sure.

Sounds like me, except you forgot the part where it goes downhill fast at the end of the day.

There's always this drive by men to have these long bomb casts, most of the time fish aren't far from your feet. Just get it somewhere that's comfortable for you, and don't think length of cast equates good fly fishermen. Its all about girth.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »

Sounds like me, except you forgot the part where it goes downhill fast at the end of the day.

There's always this drive by men to have these long bomb casts, most of the time fish aren't far from your feet. Just get it somewhere that's comfortable for you, and don't think length of cast equates good fly fishermen. Its all about girth.
Too true.   I was out again today and had one on 2 meters from my rod tip.   Especially with the pinks - been getting those typically when my retrieve is about half way in - never too sure if they where close in or followed my fly for a while but it hardly matters. 

This year is the first season I have been fly fishing almost exclusively and it's been a blast.  At least the casting gives me something to do when things are slow   ;)