Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using hoochies  (Read 5524 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Using hoochies
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:27:32 PM »

Was poking around Canadian Tire today and they were selling these smallish pink or purple hoochies with lots of flash in them.   Never tried them but I can't help thinking they would be really effective for pinks chums and coho.  Best of all..they are cheap.

They are kinda light like a fly and look like they would replicate some streamer patters really well.   Anybody tried casting hoochies with a fly setup?  If so, were they effective?

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Using hoochies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:35:17 PM »

Tried it on my spey rod last year for chum, and I can tell you its really productive. Im not sure exactly why but I remember going thru a few packs through out the season.

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »

I like it!!!! ;D...........Scott Howell has been using rubber legs for his Squidro patterns for years. I'm sure hoochies would work
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »

Interesting - thanks.  I think I am going to give em a try both for flyfishing and on a spin casting setup.

Did a bit of reading on how these get rigged with a single hook and I think the trick might be one of keeping the hook away from the head and nearer the skirts. 

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »

When i first started using them i would just have a bare hook but found out they ripped easily, so i added 2-3 beads with success.

ByteMe

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »

Interesting - thanks.  I think I am going to give em a try both for flyfishing and on a spin casting setup.

Did a bit of reading on how these get rigged with a single hook and I think the trick might be one of keeping the hook away from the head and nearer the skirts.

You both got me thinking so much about it that I just went out and bought a pack to the Gold Star Shrimp 1.2 hoochies. They are 11/2" long UV coated , I'm going to use different colored beads, with a tungsten conehead buried in the front. I'm sure they would work, can't wait to try them out ;D
                                         Lefty Kreh

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »

Those ones you got sound similar to what I went out and bought.  Mine are purple with flash  and about the same size.  That color has worked so well for me with both the pinks and the chums I figured I would go with what I know on that score.

Going to use beads as MetalAndFeathers suggested too.  Saw this idea suggested on some other sites too and I like it.  One problem I am not sure about is how to prevent the hoochie riding up the line on the cast - thinking I might just crimp a very small spit shot above it but maybe someone here has a better idea.

I can see these working pretty well on the tidal Fraser with a spin casting outfit too.   Its just a lot of fun trying different things - sometimes something a little unconventional can prove really effective.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:46:14 PM by fishseeker »

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:28 AM »

Those ones you got sound similar to what I went out and bought.  Mine are purple with flash  and about the same size.  That color has worked so well for me with both the pinks and the chums I figured I would go with what I know on that score.

Going to use beads as MetalAndFeathers suggested too.  Saw this idea suggested on some other sites too and I like it.  One problem I am not sure about is how to prevent the hoochie riding up the line on the cast - thinking I might just crimp a very small spit shot above it but maybe someone here has a better idea.

I can see these working pretty well on the tidal Fraser with a spin casting outfit too.   Its just a lot of fun trying different things - sometimes something a little unconventional can prove really effective.

Try a bobber stopper above the hoochie, they work, yes it is fun doing things out of the conventional. I swam one yesterday and was impressed with the action. With a conehead tucked inside the front it behaves a lot like a jig, now if the rivers would just open here on the island
                                         Lefty Kreh

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »

Best part of using them is you can clip off a few of the legs and increase their action in the water without taking away from it at all, if anything you'll make them even better !

I used to use a purple/pink epoxy type hoochie type fly on the Harrison years ago and it worked amazingly well however I fell out of friendship with the guy that tied them for me and I cant recall what they looked like :-X
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »

--finally a fly that I can tye
--I use these all the time for kokanee or an actual tube fly if I want to get more creative.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »

Use a siwash hook on a largish swivel and insert the swivel through the hootchie head.  The swivel holds the hootchie in place and provides a bit of length to move the hook back a bit in the hootchie. 

They cast fine on a switch rod.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »

Nice ideas.  Itching to give them a try now :)