Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey casting with regular fly rod #8  (Read 5455 times)

dobrolub

Spey casting with regular fly rod #8
« on: August 28, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »

Just wondering if anyone had tried using spey / switch line with a fly rod. If so, what size / grain would you suggest getting?

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/switch/intouch-switch-chucker/

ByteMe

Re: Spey casting with regular fly rod #8
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:32:57 AM »

Just wondering if anyone had tried using spey / switch line with a fly rod. If so, what size / grain would you suggest getting?

yep, all the time, using a Wulff Ambush 8wt, 290gr on my Sage 890 SH. Never tried the Rio products, never had to as the Ambush works great for OH. single spey snap T, roll casts
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »

$100usd for a fly line! I often wonder how Rio et al can justify the cost of some of this stuff particularly for this line which is really just a weight forward line. BTW you can spey cast a standard weight forward or a DT line with an SH rod. If you look around you can buy a short head WF line at close to half the price. Go up  line weight or two and you have pretty close to the same thing. Cheers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dobrolub

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »

Thanks, really good info.

using a Wulff Ambush 8wt, 290gr on my Sage 890 SH.

I've got a Dragon Fly, I wonder if that is stiffer than the Sage. Never had experience with Sage.

Wondering if grain 350 is the way to go for the Dragon Fly.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »

How is your roll casting with this fly rod. For a single hand fly rod, that is what you are doing with the spey casts. I would practise with that first before laying out money for different types of fly line.

ByteMe

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »

Thanks, really good info.

I've got a Dragon Fly, I wonder if that is stiffer than the Sage. Never had experience with Sage.

Wondering if grain 350 is the way to go for the Dragon Fly.

the 8wt is plenty, as my daughter uses it on her 9wt Dragonfly. FWIW, I use the same line on my 7wt switch rod when I indicator fish, and add a 10ft poly tip when I swing. It's a totally versatile line, can even toss a chunk of T11 in a pinch, not pretty but it works
                                         Lefty Kreh

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »

Got it at Fred's today. Will report back on how that goes. So far I've tried it with 11' of T7 (or may be T8) and was able to get about 30' distance. As you say, it wasn't pretty but it worked. Will need to work on my casting though. Luckily, I didn't have a hook on today or my Simms would be ruined as the line brushed off them a few times. :)

From what I can tell now the setup will work for Capilano or Campbell River and some sections of the Vedder. For sure won't work on Skeena. So a full spey probably has its place.

Also, I wouldn't want to battle a spring or a steely with a 9' #8.

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 08:30:18 PM »

Got it at Fred's today. Will report back on how that goes. So far I've tried it with 11' of T7 (or may be T8) and was able to get about 30' distance. As you say, it wasn't pretty but it worked. Will need to work on my casting though. Luckily, I didn't have a hook on today or my Simms would be ruined as the line brushed off them a few times. :)

From what I can tell now the setup will work for Capilano or Campbell River and some sections of the Vedder. For sure won't work on Skeena. So a full spey probably has its place.

Bet you'll cast 60 plus ft in a month. Check out this vid on the Ambush. Good tips, plus they have 2 other vids on different techniques, 1 is use with a SH, I'll try and find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5rYf97AuaI

Here ya go  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLfV4ABlS1E
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:33:56 PM by ByteMe »
                                         Lefty Kreh

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »

I wouldn't worry about a steelhead in southern BC or even most steelhead from the Terrace area.
An equivalent sized Chum will put a bigger hurt on you than a steelhead by a large margin.
Springs are doubly tough because they are almost always found in heavy water.

dobrolub

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:38:17 PM »

Bet you'll cast 60 plus ft in a month. Check out this vid on the Ambush. Good tips, plus they have 2 other vids on different techniques
Thanks ByteMe. So far things are working great with this setup. I am still working on my casts but fishing has been productive so far and fun. The smaller rod is great in tight or crowded places and the ambush #8 works great for me. I used a T5 on Campbell River and plan on using T5 and T8 on the C/V.

I found fly fishing on CR produced more foul hookups. So I tried going smaller on my flies. Smaller hooks produce less snagging. Slower final retrieve before casting also seemed to reduce snags. Lots to learn.