Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Casting Woe's  (Read 13808 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Casting Woe's
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »

The biggest mistake most people do is use the power in their arm. The consistent acceleration with abrupt stop letting the rod do the work. I still occasionally try and over power a cast, rarely works. Hah.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 09:57:14 PM »

I can't really add anything to all the excellent advice here except to say that I am not a great fly caster either.  I took lessons that got me started but my Max is probably around 30 feet with a few false casts and I have seen guys doing double that distance in places like Furry Creek.  (Mind you, they might have been using 8 or 9 weights which I believe are more effective at getting distance than my 6 wt and they seem to have this knack for doing this quick tug on the line just before doing the forward cast that seems to get it out further.  Quite humbling to watch them doing that so elegantly).

Fortunately I have not found it necessary to have great casting distance in the vast majority of situations and I have done OK in spite of my limitations.  If I can't reach em I just pull out my trusting spinning outfit :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »

It shouldn't matter what weight the rod is as far as casting distance is concerned. Sure wind may play a role. But a well balanced 5 wt will cast further than an underweighted 8 wt. The rod's action (fast vs. slow/moderate) also plays a key role, particularly in the wind.  The key to distance casting is technique not power. Let the rod do the work, and master the double haul.

My max distance is the same for my 5 wt trout rods and 8 wt salmon rods, as long as the action on either rods are similar....about 90 feet to the backing under ideal conditions (e.g. In a park).  In the salt without a stripping basket my distance drops to 60 to 70 feet as the surface tension of the water on my line will stop the line from shooting out.  Like flytech, if I try to power the cast, it usually fails!

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »

It shouldn't matter what weight the rod is as far as casting distance is concerned. Sure wind may play a role. But a well balanced 5 wt will cast further than an underweighted 8 wt. The rod's action (fast vs. slow/moderate) also plays a key role, particularly in the wind.  The key to distance casting is technique not power. Let the rod do the work, and master the double haul.

My max distance is the same for my 5 wt trout rods and 8 wt salmon rods, as long as the action on either rods are similar....about 90 feet to the backing under ideal conditions (e.g. In a park).  In the salt without a stripping basket my distance drops to 60 to 70 feet as the surface tension of the water on my line will stop the line from shooting out.  Like flytech, if I try to power the cast, it usually fails!
Thats good info.  The only time a I really cared about casting distance was when I was fishing at Furrey Creek and would have liked a bit more water coverage.   I will have to invest in a stripping basket one of these days - I don't doubt it helps.

Out of interest is the a reason to prefer a slow action rod over a fast action?  I love my Reddington 6wt but I am pretty sure it is a slower action that something like a Sage which is what they gave me when I was doing fly casting lessons years ago.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:08:29 PM by fishseeker »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 07:16:43 PM »

Fast action rods are able to toss heavier tips easier, and can also put more "pressure" on the fish when fighting one.  They are also "better" during windy conditions IMHO.  They also require a "faster" casting stroke or rhythm.  Moderate or slower action rods require a "slower" casting stroke/rhythm, but they can just about cast as far if the correct technique is used.  I prefer a more "moderate" action rod for chironomid fishing for trout.  As for salmon, I prefer a faster action rod. But it really comes down to preference and what feels comfortable for you.  I believe a "moderate" action rod has a more forgiving timing window, whereas a fast action rod has a more precise timing window, requiring the caster to more accurately time the cast to load the rod properly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:27:52 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »

Thats good info.  The only time a I really cared about casting distance was when I was fishing at Furrey Creek and would have liked a bit more water coverage.   I will have to invest in a stripping basket one of these days - I don't doubt it helps.
[/]

No Investment required.  I Just took one of the small footstools and drilled a couple of holes to hook a bungy cord and I am up out of the current.  You can also glue in some Bic pen caps to help keep the line in the basket from tangling. The image is not of my basket, but identical idea only it looks like he used zap straps instead of pen caps.

Not all those who wander are lost

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »

Thanks Sandman.  It can be that simple!!!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »

Stripping baskets are really effective though this simple technique is as well. It's a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time but once you get the hang of it it works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7i5jVTyG4
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

Good tip

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »

I read this thread yesterday and used it's advice today. Just want to say thanks for the reminders! World of difference  in my casting. Then the wind picked up hard!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »

[/]

No Investment required.  I Just took one of the small footstools and drilled a couple of holes to hook a bungy cord and I am up out of the current.  You can also glue in some Bic pen caps to help keep the line in the basket from tangling. The image is not of my basket, but identical idea only it looks like he used zap straps instead of pen caps.

Brilliant! Thank you.  Much as I love this hobby I am always trying to find ways to keep my wallet healthy :)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 02:17:31 PM »

Stripping baskets are really effective though this simple technique is as well. It's a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time but once you get the hang of it it works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq7i5jVTyG4

I'll have to give that a try, I have tried similar techniques but always ended up tangling line.
Not all those who wander are lost

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »

Went out and bought myself a basket for 2 bucks at Daiso today.  Wish I could put out a photo but its soft and pliable while holding its shape.  I think the use of something like a bungee around my waist will have it mold to me a bit while having it serve as a basket.

Looking forward to trying it out and if it fails its only a 2 dollar loss.

I liked that "patting your head and rubbing your tummy video" -  8).   Very impressive but I am sure it is beyond my limited abilities right now.  I did notice he was doing long strips before grabbing the line to make a coil - not sure how I would manage that with the really slow short strip retrieves I use when fishing for pinks.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »

Hey, thanks all of you.

I got that makeshift stripping basked arrangement sorted and I have been very pleased with the results trying it out on the tidal Fraser yesterday.  Started a bit shakily but, with some practice, I was getting some of my casts out about 40 feet provided I could get my rod properly loaded on the back cast.

What I was hoping to achieve was longer casts without the need for a long back-cast because the spot I was fishing did not have a great deal of room for that.     I was trying to have just a little line out on the back cast and just have the line peel out of the basket on the forward cast  with less need for false casting.    I could do OKish with that but I still had to get quite a bit of line out on the back cast albeit less that when I did not use a stripping basket.  Any of you guys know how to achieve that? (That link posted by sandman really impressed men because the guy was doing just that - I can only dream of being able to do that at present)

Another issue was getting my line tangled in the stripping basket from time to time - practice, practice.

PS:  Having a blast with this fly fishing.   It's been so effective for me this season and I was really thrilled to get my first Fraser pink of the season this way yesterday :)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:16:52 PM by fishseeker »

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »

Glad to see some improvements.

What rod are you using? A faster action rod will help achieve farther casts as well. Remember let the rod do the work.