Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tenkara fishing  (Read 8147 times)

ByteMe

Tenkara fishing
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:03 AM »

Living on The Island, we have hundreds of streams and creeks with healthy trout populations, so trying tenkara was a no brainer. It took me ten minutes to realize that if you are fishing small creeks and streams the tenkara method is tough to beat. If you want chase a 16" trout while the rod is bending to the cork, everyone should try this sport. I C&R more fish in 2 hours than I ever did with my regular western fly gear.  I believe it was definitely the presentation of the fly that tenkara is touted for, an absolutely dry free drift either fishing nymphs or drys, as you are casting furled or flourocarbon leaders as opposed to heavier fly lines. It is definately  more fun than s*x at my age ;)

And for those of you who want to get their your kids into flyfishing, this would be a great way to start them as the rod only weighs 3ozs, with a little guidance they can achieve a 30ft drift easily and catch fish. I know what I'm getting my grandson for his birthday.
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

TheFishingLad

Re: Tenkara fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »

Edit: below is my OP, and is nonsense. Not deleting to make sure the below replies don't look redundant.

People find news easier to read than regulations. But they have been closed for awhile now so I trust this is a post regarding fishing months ago.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/b-c-closes-rivers-to-fishing-on-vancouver-island-bans-campfires-1.1989545
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:41:30 AM by TheFishingLad »

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »

People find news easier to read than regulations. But they have been closed for awhile now so I trust this is a post regarding fishing months ago.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/b-c-closes-rivers-to-fishing-on-vancouver-island-bans-campfires-1.1989545

suggest you check regs again regarding The Big Q
                                         Lefty Kreh

TheFishingLad

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

suggest you check regs again regarding The Big Q

Seen. Will edit first post to reflect my mistake.

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »

Seen. Will edit first post to reflect my mistake.

np........appreciate your concerns about the rivers though
                                         Lefty Kreh

rustybee

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »

Living on The Island, we have hundreds of streams and creeks with healthy trout populations, so trying tenkara was a no brainer. It took me ten minutes to realize that if you are fishing small creeks and streams the tenkara method is tough to beat. If you want chase a 16" trout while the rod is bending to the cork, everyone should try this sport. I C&R more fish in 2 hours than I ever did with my regular western fly gear.  I believe it was definitely the presentation of the fly that tenkara is touted for, an absolutely dry free drift either fishing nymphs or drys, as you are casting furled or flourocarbon leaders as opposed to heavier fly lines. It is definately  more fun than s*x at my age ;)

And for those of you who want to get their your kids into flyfishing, this would be a great way to start them as the rod only weighs 3ozs, with a little guidance they can achieve a 30ft drift easily and catch fish. I know what I'm getting my grandson for his birthday.

Great to see someone else bitten by the Tenkara rod.
If you think chasing after 16" trouts are a hoot with these rods, try summer steelheads... Lol.
Btw, you don't have to use expensive specialized furled tenkara leaders that cost 2 arms and a leg.
50lb Berkley big game mono or rio slickshooter running lines will work equally as well for cheaper.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »

It isn't all that hard to make your own furled leaders with tying thread.
I'm not rich enough to spend money on those expensive tenkara rods, so I just use a light 9' pole rod which gets the job done well.
Someone was here

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »

Where abouts on the island are you located? If you don't mind me asking. I'm from Duncan and have always wanted to try tenkara. What company did you buy your setup from?
Thanks.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »

"Western" fly fishing has that in the form of 10' 2#, 10' 3# etc...and nymphs

ByteMe

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »

Where abouts on the island are you located? If you don't mind me asking. I'm from Duncan and have always wanted to try tenkara. What company did you buy your setup from?
Thanks.

I'm in Port Alberni, I bought my setup online from a company in Calgary called Live it up which is the Canadian distributor for Tenkara Rod Co. in the US, I got the Sawtooth  package ,after  discount it came to $134 Can shipped, but Courtenay at Nile Creek Fly Shop carries Mystic tenkara rods for $125 if you like
                                         Lefty Kreh

ByteMe

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »

Great to see someone else bitten by the Tenkara rod.
If you think chasing after 16" trouts are a hoot with these rods, try summer steelheads... Lol.
Btw, you don't have to use expensive specialized furled tenkara leaders that cost 2 arms and a leg.
50lb Berkley big game mono or rio slickshooter running lines will work equally as well for cheaper.

I'm still trying to overcome the fear of a 16" trout snapping my rod instead of my 5X tippet the way the rod bends ,but it hasn't happened YET. where did you get your Slickshooter from Jeff, as I can't find it anywhere on the island?
                                         Lefty Kreh

ByteMe

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »

Check this vid out on tenkara fishing for steelhead on The Skeena

http://tv.shimano.co.jp/29
                                         Lefty Kreh

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 10:44:07 AM »

Thanks for the info ;D

ByteMe

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »

Thanks for the info ;D

np................going after those big bad browns in The Cowie when it re opens? ;)
                                         Lefty Kreh

Ry the fly guy

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »

I m planing on it. Haha I should be putting in my order for a tenkara rod pretty soon so hopefully it's as great as your described it