Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Finder Issues...  (Read 7857 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Fish Finder Issues...
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:17:08 PM »

Hoping someone might help me troubleshoot some fish finder issues I'm having.

So the jet boat we bought last week came with a Eagle Fish Mark 480. Not really my dream f/f, but plan is to leave it on for a year or two as there are some higher priority accessories we want before we replace a fish finder that already works. Down the road I'd like a bigger, color, GPS model.

Anyway, when we test drove the boat I'm pretty sure it worked fine. Honestly wasn't paying a lot of attention to it as it appeared to be working properly which was good enough for me.

We have had the boat out twice. Just on local lakes as we want to get more comfortable with it, esp loading and unloading, before we hit the river. Our previous boat was a 12 foot dinky boat.

Anyway, so the fish finder is doing something funky. Most of the time it will read "0.0" as the depth and not show anything on the screen. Sometimes it will read a depth but stay locked on that depth as you move, and sometimes (maybe 10% of the time) it works fine, shows the changing depth, contours/structure of the bottom, fish, etc.

It does the same intermittent thing regardless if the motor is on, off, idling, cruising, or wide open. I know the lower end fish finders typically will fail to read the proper depth at high speeds, but I certainly expect it to work at lower speeds, and especially with no motor running!! >:(

It is getting power fine, that is not the issue. I'm thinking something is up with the transducer? I've tried cleaning it and adjusting the angle up and down a bit and it has not helped.

Does anyone have any other ideas how to fix this? The unit is the same vintage as the boat (2011).

My only other experience with a fish finder is with my Hummingbird portable clamp on style which works perfect every time. Just not suitable for this boat.

My wife thinks it is because the transducer is mounted rather close to the jet. Like maybe 8 inches to the right of the center of the transom. Other boats I've seen it is mounted closer the SIDE of the boat. I can see this being a valid argument if the issues started up when the motor climbed in RPM and made more turbulence in the water. However it does the same thing with the motor OFF so surely this can not be blamed on bubbles in the water. 

arimaBOATER

Re: Fish Finder Issues...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:19:09 AM »

This may or may not work.
Make sure the transducer bottom is flat or even with the water.  ( if the current moved it a bit to an angle it will not work properly )
When it is "acting up" hit the power button & turn it off & then restart.
Should work properly afterwords.

TNAngler

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:51 AM »

If that doesn't work, I would look online for a new transducer.  If I remember right, they aren't that expensive and are actually pretty easy to change.  Would allow you to get by until you get your dream machine.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:18 AM »

I would make sure all the cables are plugged in tight and there are no frays along the length of the line.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »

I've had dang near identical issues with a Humminbird 520. I thought it was the connectors at the back and I got so pissed with it that I taped them on securely with electrical tape. This seemed to work for a couple trips then the same thing intermittently again. I took the unit into Mike's and nothing was found.

I finally came to the conclusion that the transducer cable had an wiring problem - at least that was my final assessment just prior to discarding the complete ffinder. While chronie fishing one day I began moving the wires on a hunch and sure enough the display zero'd out in 8' of water. I may have over reacted a bit by discarding the unit but I just had enough frustration with it.

I now have a 120 portable clamp on and have a lot of fun with the side view finder.

I've had miss readings on the Fraser before and found that to be cavitation issues but you're saying this happens with the motor off so its not cavitation related.

A ffinder that zeros out on the Fraser at full speed is not a good feeling. Nothing feels worse than going 45mph to a dead stop in less than a second on the Fraser. I've done it - I go slower now. Damn bottom can rise very quickly on the river.

I would get a new, relatively inexpensive ffinder until you get what you want. You can spend the money on a new transducer but then find the head unit is the issue. A new lower end humminbird or another Eagle will be good and you can always re-sell it when you get your new ffinder.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:36:00 PM by Rieber »

ShaunO

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:37:36 PM »

I know you said its getting power just fine, but if its getting less than 12 volts the transducer will be underpowered and all sorts of stuff happens as a result.  Do the transducer wires run anywhere near the battery cables?  There could be some interference there, as well as interference generated by a running motor. 

Hope that helps rule things out.

Cheers,

Shaun

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »

--nothing really constructive to add.
--they seem to have a shelf life and when they're done they're done.
--have had the same problem with... after several good years of use... it just started acting up. false readings... depth doesn't make sense.

--I went through all the same potential fixes.... re-connected all cabels... tighten everything up... clean connections... check miminum voltage..
--GPS function is still working with no problems so I may just keep it for GPS on my other boat that has a cheap finder on it.

--Following this thread to see if someone has a miracle cure.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »

I don't think there is a miracle cure. Its a cost of boating. replace it with a new unit and enjoy a safe summer. Turf it and forget about it. It's not worth the frustration and compromised safety.

kindalonismo

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »

Could be totally off track but have you looked at the settings on the unit itself?  Is the gain too low to read the contours?  What depths is the unit set to read?  Just thinking out loud  ;D

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »

This may or may not work.
Make sure the transducer bottom is flat or even with the water.  ( if the current moved it a bit to an angle it will not work properly )
When it is "acting up" hit the power button & turn it off & then restart.
Should work properly afterwords.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Transducer appears flat with the bottom. Tried clicking it up and down a notch or two and still has same intermittent issues. Tried the power on/off "trick" and didn't work. The brain appears to have a "reset" button on the back. Have not tried that yet. Will read manual on what the deal is and try that later.

If that doesn't work, I would look online for a new transducer.  If I remember right, they aren't that expensive and are actually pretty easy to change.  Would allow you to get by until you get your dream machine.

Yeah, it may come to that. If after troubleshooting as much as I can and it still doesn't work I may look at a new transducer, however as others have mentioned that MAY not solve the issue, which would be a real piss off!

I know you said its getting power just fine, but if its getting less than 12 volts the transducer will be underpowered and all sorts of stuff happens as a result.  Do the transducer wires run anywhere near the battery cables?  There could be some interference there, as well as interference generated by a running motor. 

Hope that helps rule things out.

Cheers,

Shaun

I'll have to check the voltage. As far as I know it's fine. I don't believe the transducer cable runs near the battery cable. I'll have to look at that too. Only had the boat for 5 days! :)

Could be totally off track but have you looked at the settings on the unit itself?  Is the gain too low to read the contours?  What depths is the unit set to read?  Just thinking out loud  ;D

Settings should be fine. At times it will not pick up any depth at all. Even if no motor running and just sitting there bobbing around.

fishgod

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:56:41 PM »

This sounds like a transducer issue - and could well be - but could also be the head unit sender this is possible to fix and at the same time, if this is ruled out that leaves the transducer as the point of signal failure.  I had a similar issue with a matrix 17 several years ago - in my case it was the sender and not the transducer - found a hummingbird repair guy on the Internet - worked out of his house in Surrey/Richmond - he tested and fixed the unit in about 30 min for a nominal charge compared to getting a new unit - the Fraser is not a place to boat if you don't know. The depth - good luck
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and trouble shoot it with my dad when is his down in a week. This is much more his bag than mine. If no luck I may replace the transducer if not too expensive. If it is up there in price may consider buying a whole new F/F :o

I read the manual cover to cover. I checked the installation of the transducer to the manual instructions and it appears 100% done right.

Electrical interference is discussed in the manual, however the F/F will often not find bottom with the motor and all electrical accessories off, so pretty much rules this out.

Manual does mention that if the battery is below 11V it may cause issues. I'll check and make sure voltage is good.

Also mentioned that transducer may need a soap+water wash. It look clean but can't hurt to try.

As others have mentioned I think something on the F/F its self is glitchy, probably the transducer.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »

I have a Hummingbird 520.Does the same thing.I have found that because the controls have multiple functions the settings appear normal even though I am getting no depth reading.I stumbled upon alternate settings for the sonar and display.Mine have to be entered thru the menu shortly after starting.Sonar sensitivity was showing zero here on other screen.Adjusting levels cured it.May have nothing to do with your issue but I would still check it out.Good luck.
Riverman

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 09:23:58 PM »

Interesting. I will try to reset the unit to default factory settings and try to dinker with the settings a bit.

I don't really think my f/f has settings related issues as a few times it has worked totally fine for 30 min or so. Didn't touch the settings at all. Then it will just cut out, shows "0.0" as the depth, and suddenly will not pick up anything. It's like someone unclipped the transducer and put it in their pocket. >:(

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 08:56:01 AM »

Try it you have nothing to lose.My fish finder works fine, some-times for days.Then this happens.Multiple functions has been the key for me.The main menu settings indicate all is ok.
Riverman