Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saltwater line  (Read 1615 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Saltwater line
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:52:53 PM »

Question
What is your preferred go to fishing line for the salt water .
I'm heading out trolling , not sure where yet , probably Howe sound somewhere or Fraser mouth next week .
I have 2 reels spooled . My Shimano Special w/80 lb. braid and my Shimano Mooching reel w/ 30 lb. mono .
is there a difference with these two fishing wise ?
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

mikeyman

Re: Saltwater line
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:02:17 PM »

I always use backing then tie to 30 lb berkly big game. Not sure how braid will work in downrigger clip...never used it...no stretch and n braid either...always used mono.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:05:45 PM by mikeyman »

VA7DDP

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 12:01:57 AM »

My Go-To mono for Saltwater is Pline CXX, use it on all my Salmon Levelwinds.

Copper Koski

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »

I have found braid releases from the downrigger clips a little too easily.  I haven't tried 80lb however, only 65lb braid. I prefer 30lb maxima mono personally

I do know some people that use braid on the downriggers, because it detects subtle bites and cuts through the water better. Some friends of mine have braid mainline and splice some mono  on for the last 20' or so. To me this seems needlessly complicated and risky! Mono seems to work just fine.

Golfer

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 02:00:24 PM »

Some friends of mine have braid mainline and splice some mono  on for the last 20' or so. To me this seems needlessly complicated and risky! Mono seems to work just fine.

When fishing in Kyuquot last year, some of the guides used braid mainline with 15 feet of 30 lb UG at the end.  I thought it worked very well, and there was noticeably less stretch in the line.  They had never had any issues with that method.