Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cecil the lion  (Read 8899 times)

strobes

Cecil the lion
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »

First I'd like to say let's keep this a mature conversation.

I was wondering what some others people thoughts are on the baiting and killing of Cecil the lion. We are all fisherman here and I'm sure we have all killed fish for numerous personal reason such as food or to mount. But for the most part we all fish legally and with in the regulations. What are your thoughts on this senseless killing of a beautiful animal whose species is threatened?
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

zacrum

Re: Cecil the lion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:22:25 PM »

lions being an exoticc animal  should not be killed unless is for survival   i mean would you kill an orca or a dolphin ?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »

Is a crappy deal all around.
I don't support trophy hunting but its something that is legal .
Not sure of the details about this Lion hunt other than what we are being fed by the press but I think the Dentist is getting a bad wrap here considering he paid dearly to go on this hunt to begin with.
He probably wasn't aware that they lured this animal out of the Park only to be shot with a crossbow.
If he was aware then my opinion of him changes dramatically.
Either way he is going to have a tough go of it for the next while.

zacrum

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »

Is a crappy deal all around.
I don't support trophy hunting but its something that is legal .
Not sure of the details about this Lion hunt other than what we are being fed by the press but I think the Dentist is getting a bad wrap here considering he paid dearly to go on this hunt to begin with.
He probably wasn't aware that they lured this animal out of the Park only to be shot with a crossbow.
If he was aware then my opinion of him changes dramatically.
Either way he is going to have a tough go of it for the next while.
if you google  any thing for a trophy hunting site   in those areas  you will be well informed   that they bait and drug more of the animals  to get you a controlled kill   and ensure your saftey   being as he used a cross bow   he would have to have alot of time to set up a shot   so he knew damn well that the lion was baited      but that aside as much as its is frowned at  you are right areas of the world it is still legal to hunt endangered species 

Copper Koski

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:33:43 AM »

I must say I dont agree with trophy hunting. However, at least the money generated by these activities could save hundreds of animals from being poached.

Electroman

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »

lions being an exoticc animal  should not be killed unless is for survival   i mean would you kill an orca or a dolphin ?

To some a Moose is exotic.
Bad comparison to a orca or dolphin. Maybe a better one would be a griz hunt.

I have mixed feelings about trophy hunts but if they are legal they are legal.
The dentist has in the past been charged with poaching from what I hear.

ajransom

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 06:48:52 AM »

As a hunter,  I don't agree with trophy hunting. I also disagree with the method of shooting the lion with a bow and allowing it to suffer for 40 hours before finishing him off with a rifle.

The thing that really bothers me is that the world is up in arms about a lion being killed, while literally millions of people in the same part of the world are starving to death. Why do we care so much for a lion,  but don't bat an eye at the millions of people who die from preventable causes...?

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »

I do not agree but lions are shot and killed almost every day. Where were the masses of people protesting and complaining 2 weeks ago ? where were the facebook pictures and profile updates last week or for the past 10 years on social media? what about the other animals that are killed everyday almost the exact same way, until the news puts it on TV and social media, no one even bats an eye... but announce it publically and make it headline news and the sheep will follow... bahhh

"breaking news" fisherman lures ancient fish in with specially designed bait to puncture a large hook in its mouth, only to drag it around the river for multiple hours and then be clubbed over the head with a rock" and the world goes nuts...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:17 AM »

--A friend did some..what we call... trophy hunting while living in Africa.
--He used guides from a village near where he lived. Basically the whole village was supported by the legal hunts.
--All of the meat went to the village...except for a ceremonial meal. He also was able to purchase tanned hide...again prepared by the village.
--They also pay a game enhancement fee that goes to the protection of habitat. This allows villagers to purchase alternate fuel. If they don''t get this they go out and cut down and burn anything that is available.

--His justification being that if he did not pay to hunt the animal... the villagers would still have to kill it for their own food... plus cut down trees and vegitation in the area to live. By paying them for a legal hunt the animal gave much needed value added revenue that was kept and used in the local area. 

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »

As a hunter,  I don't agree with trophy hunting. I also disagree with the method of shooting the lion with a bow and allowing it to suffer for 40 hours before finishing him off with a rifle.

Thats just a bad shot on the hunters behalf, i bow hunt and i will not make a shot unless im 110% certain it will hit its mark.

Bow hunting is a very ethical form of hunting when done right. But mistakes do happen and it happens every year around here with every species in BC. Imagine if someone was to post up a deer wounded by a hunters arrow, suffered for days in the forest and died as said hunter could not find his animal, or shot too far back and took 3 days to die from a gut shot. The world would go nuts and all hunters would be in the line of fire.

Last year i posted a pic of a small spike buck i shot with my bow, i had people tearing into me left right and center. Saying how inhumane and why would you shoot it with an arrow and such. When... that deer went 7 yards and lasted 15 seconds. The one i got with my gun went 140 yards and lasted 3-5 minutes.... both perfect shots.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:58:38 AM by Gone_Fishin_ »

zacrum

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »

Cecil was found   beheaded so you can't say that the village got any thing from it    he hires 2 guides from a website  they got out of jail on 1000 dollar bonds  he made an apology    when the baited a lion out of a national park    ........ now how does that help.the region

ajransom

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »

I should clarify - I am not at all against bow hunting. I think it's an ethical way to hunt and like all hunting - a bad shot is way worse than no shot at all.

I meant that luring the lion out of the protected zone and then shooting it. A bad shot on his behalf resulted in 40 hours of suffering.

Most people who don't hunt and fish are incredibly ignorant of how food ends up in our grocery stores and on our plates. I would argue that a clean and quick kill from a hunter is way more ethical than industrial farming. At least with game hunting the animals are wild and free and going about their normal life. Incidents like this do nothing but harm to the image of hunting as the vast majority of hunters and not trophy hunters,  but hunt to eat (and enjoy the whole process, which still results in the whole animal being used)

The reality is if we are going to eat meat, an animal has to die.

quote author=Gone_Fishin_ link=topic=38256.msg359856#msg359856 date=1438354456]
Thats just a bad shot on the hunters behalf, i bow hunt and i will not make a shot unless im 110% certain it will hit its mark.

Bow hunting is a very ethical form of hunting when done right. But mistakes do happen and it happens every year around here with every species in BC. Imagine if someone was to post up a deer wounded by a hunters arrow, suffered for days in the forest and died as said hunter could not find his animal, or shot too far back and took 3 days to die from a gut shot. The world would go nuts and all hunters would be in the line of fire.

Last year i posted a pic of a small spike buck i shot with my bow, i had people tearing into me left right and center. Saying how inhumane and why would you shoot it with an arrow and such. When... that deer went 7 yards and lasted 15 seconds. The one i got with my gun went 140 yards and lasted 3-5 minutes.... both perfect shots.
[/quote]

TheFishingLad

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »

Why is everyone saying this was a legal hunt? Or villagers going to kill this animal anyway for food? There is no hunting on these sanctuaries. There's a reason why it was lured away. There's a reason why the landowner neighboring the sanctuary is being charged.

Tourists and going on a safari are excellent ways to stimulate an economy.

tworivers

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »

It's very sad that this senseless killing of an animal occurred.

This group of poachers lured this creature out of a protected park and baited Cecil to a killing location.
Even at that, the kill was not clean, and this poor animal suffered needlessly for almost 4 days.

What's even more unfortunate, is that these types of situations give all hunters a bad name.

Legal or not, a true hunter would not have participated in such activitity.
These individuals, and others who find enjoyment in this form of killing are POACHERS, not hunters.

Big difference.

fyrslyer

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »