Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trout lake catfish  (Read 1138 times)

fish fear me

trout lake catfish
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »

I live very close to trout lake fished it once and only caught a tiny pumpkinseed. I heard there are crappie and catfish as well, I think the crappie are probably misidentified pumpkinseed, but I could see catfish in that lake and would love for my son to catch some. any tips on where on the lake to fish and bait would be much appreciated.

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: trout lake catfish
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:51:32 AM »

There are crappie there, just not nearly as many as the pumpkinseeds.  All of which have become very stunted.

Bobber and a worm around any of the lilly pads, anywhere on that lake will catch them.  For the catfish, cast from the gravel area on the west side of the lake with a single split shot and no bobber.  A small corkie above the hook with a piece of worm can help you avoid some of the bottom muck.

Or keep adjusting the depth using a bobber in that that area until you have confidence that your bait is just off bottom.

Also, youtube some videos on how to catch carp.  Make up some dough bait and bring some corn, you might hook into one of the monsters that swim in there...