Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunshine Coast Fishing  (Read 6156 times)

TimL

Sunshine Coast Fishing
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:24:57 PM »

I am currently planning a weekend trip with family to the Sunshine Coast in late August (22nd-23rd). I am hoping to get some (tidal) fishing done on both these days. Although we have not booked accommodations yet (and I know we should soon!), the general area we are planning to stay in will most likely be in the Sechelt/Gibsons area. I will be shorebound and interested in beach fishing opportunities for pink salmon....Besides salmon, I will also be going after some groundfish as well (sole/flounder, pile perch, greenling) so any info on prime fishing locations during that time frame, as well as motels in the area will be appreciated!   :)

Tangles

Re: Sunshine Coast Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »

Definitely don't miss out on fishing the mouths of Chapman Creek and Roberts Creek! It was awesome last pink run we spent a week on the exact same dates in August. I met a very nice bunch of local fly fishermen and we all did well. Beautiful place, on our last day a huge humpback whale came in porpoising right 200 yards from shore - a bunch of seals swam scared right next to us on the shore, not to mention there was a fellow in a pontoon maybe less than 100ft away from the whale!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:14:56 PM by Tangles »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »

There is a coho fishery in Porpoise Bay in late summer. Never taken participated in it, but I hear about it from time to time.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/fishingsechelt/fishingreport%20.htm

BananasQ

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »

I booked a Salmon charter from near half moon bay - was a great day out for me and my 7 year old and we landed an 18lb white spring and a couple of small rock cod. http://www.tipsup.ca/ I'll be doing that each year.

TimL

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions so far... 8) I'm definitely considering the Chapman or Roberts Creek area for pinks...am assuming an incoming tide works best for these areas?

Tangles

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »

You need to get out there as much as possible so in that regard it's pretty much like the Ambleside fishery - 2hrs before and 2hrs after low tide is best. Or you can fish the creek itself for moving fish during high tide but that could be a little tough.

Tangles

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:51:45 PM »

Also if you need talk to the local fishermen for pointers, I met some helpfull people out there.

fetoid

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:19 AM »

Regarding Chapman Creek.  I'm having difficulty finding updated regs.  I'm assuming the tidal portion is still open for Pinks?  I'm also assuming that the non-tidal is now closed, like pretty much the rest of the lower mainland? 
Like I said, having problems finding current regs.
Thoughts?

TimL

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »

You need to get out there as much as possible so in that regard it's pretty much like the Ambleside fishery - 2hrs before and 2hrs after low tide is best. Or you can fish the creek itself for moving fish during high tide but that could be a little tough.
Thanks Tangles...the tide tables predict early morning lows during that weekend. I will be fishing the mouth...and don't get me started on Ambleside. .I've been skunked for salmon on all the times I've been there so far this season ::) I just hope my luck changes for the better this weekend at Furry Creek!

TimL

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:48:22 AM »

Regarding Chapman Creek.  I'm having difficulty finding updated regs.  I'm assuming the tidal portion is still open for Pinks?  I'm also assuming that the non-tidal is now closed, like pretty much the rest of the lower mainland? 
Like I said, having problems finding current regs.
Thoughts?
Tidal portion is open for pinks...for the mouth of the Chapman specifically,.it will be open for cohos on Sept. 15.

Tangles

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:17:46 AM »

I feel you on the Ambleside one  ;D, but pinks are not as spooked as coho and will be plentiful around that time, also way less fishing pressure should make it a little easier.