Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jig head knots  (Read 4923 times)

mr.bean

jig head knots
« on: July 26, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »

I usually use a clinch or palomor knot with my 12  test flouro leader to tie  on  a jig.  I was   told a loop knot would be way more effective. your thoughts.

dave c

Re: jig head knots
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:08:21 PM »

I have heard the same.  I use jigs exclusively when steelhead fishing with good success.  This year I tried a loop knot with a couple jigs because it allows a more natural action.  I did find however that I lost more fish when using the loop knot (coincidence?).  Just lost a spring with a jig loop knot last week yet I managed to land two on a jig with a clinch!  Think I'll stay with a clinch.  Try the loop and see what u think.  I would like hear some feedback from others.  I'm just wondering if the because the jig isn't attached to a specific place on your line (the end) but actually floating within the loop if this somehow  affects the hookset or if during headshakes there is a greater margin for error.  Would like to hear what Rob Toth (Bent Rod Jigs) thinks.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:39:52 PM »

I use the loop knot. When I fish jigs I use mono. Do I think it catches more fish? Honestly Ive never 'tested' the theory, but I don't think it matters all that much but I still do it.
When I swing flies, (rarely) I always use the loop knot and I think it makes a diffeence. Same with still water fishing minus the dry flies.

Tangles

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »

Last year I landed many chum and a few steelies all using the loop knot on my jigs. I havent noticed any issues with lost fish and also couldnt say if the knot is an actual advantage. I've heard of people who actually oppose its use as they say the jig is not weight balanced and this way the jig isnt swimming horizontal but rather with the tail down. Again, like I said I havent notice any differences in success so far.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:42:17 AM »

Yup, I use the old "rapala" knot.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »

For casting/retrieving/twitching etc I like a clinch knot.  Have not done much float-fishing or drifting with jigs but I can see how a loop knot might make things appear more natural.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 02:24:27 PM »

the San Diego Knot is number one for jigs and all reverse clinch type knot tying situations. It's only limitation is that it takes a bit longer to tie.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »

I always use a loop knot unless i'm fishing bait or spoons / spinners with a swivel attached to the blade itself.  gives a little bit more free flowing action to the bait, especially marabou jigs.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:51:40 AM »

I use the loop knot for float fishing jigs as it allows much more action to your dead drifted jig.
For no float jigging (twitching) i use a revised clinch know that joins my jig directly to my braided line.
The revised part is that I double my braided line and tie a clinch knot.
I use this knot on all my braided line knots, its strong, easy and reliable.

If you are breaking loop knots I would question your knots as I find them stronger than a clinch knot when using mono.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Zackattack

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »

Do you guys recommend overhand loop or perfection loop?
Thnx

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:48 AM »

I use non-slip loop knots on my jigs and flies and have never had an issues with knots busting. In fact, with flouro I find thta the NSLK is stronger than an improved clinch which is my go-to mono knot.

U-tube this knot if you think you are not tying it correctly. There are a few good vids. I found one by Brian Chan back in the day that I liked as the camera was zoomed right in on the knot. I'm sure plenty of other good vids too.

This being said, I do not think the NSLK catches more fish. I like it, have confidence in it, and like to think it ups my odds. However I chronomid, spey, and jig fish with guys who only use im-clinch on all their jigs and flys and they catch just as many if not more fish than I do.

Perhaps on a balanced leech the NSLK is necessary as it will not wiggle as desired without such a knot.