Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best line for beach fish furry creek  (Read 9578 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

Best line for beach fish furry creek
« on: July 26, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »

Hi guys.

just wanted to know peoples opinions on the best line for beach fishing at furry creek?

I have been using rio versi tip for a couple of season now and i like it alot except i don't like the join going through the guides so i upgraded to   a 30ft intermediate line which i don't feel is the best line for fishing the beach as i am hanging up alot and not catching too much.

and whistle we are on topic which line do you like for pink in the squamish river?

Thanks colin.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Best line for beach fish furry creek
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:08:39 PM »

Rio StreamerTip Intermediate tip works for me. Minimal false casting, shoots a ton of line, 10 foot clear tip.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »

I was using clear int line the other day and did not hit the bottom once

I normally use the rio with clear int tip, but changed up as my main fly line was damaged :'(--time for a new one)

a few questions:--
how long is your leader?

How heavy is your fly?

are you letting it sink before you start stripping?

how quick is your retrieve?

Try casting out and then strip right away, I was fishing some shallow water and the fish were chasing my fly right in front of me, so exciting seeing a v wake following your fly in :o
I was trying out all the different flies that i had tied up, all worked ;)
some had beaded eyes, some single bead and some plastic bead.

It was crazy busy out there (bit like the Vedder on a busy day ::) but everyone was so pleasant and enjoying the morning
I just had to remind a couple of guys that it was not a good idea to stand behind guys fly fishing 8)
good luck out there :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:55:30 PM by Britguy »

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »

@britguy

10ft flouro leader with an unweighted handelbar. i think the problem is with the 30ft tip.

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:03:09 PM »

and a fairly fast strip as i was done with hanging up.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »

Line I just purchased for my salmon single handed setup is the Rio Outbound Short. This line is great as a dry line but double very well to cast sink tips. It does not come with tips like a Versa Tip system so you need to buy them separately however with this line there is no need for using a "dry" tip to fish only the dry line like you would with a versa tip line. It's feels great and I really enjoyed it on the Squamish and being that the "head" postion is only 30' instead of 37' like a regular Outbound it will work great for fishing in close or bobber setups when needed.

I would never buy a specific line with integrated tip unless I fished it ALOT, it's way easier to have a line you can use for everything
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »

I was using the Ridge Clear Delta from Airflo --slow intermediate, with 6ft flourocarbon leader

wrist was hurting after so many hook ups ;)

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 07:18:24 AM »

If its a 30ft tip, I woulf suspect you grabbed  something like my 300gr rio streamertip, where (24ft for me) the sink tip portion is x amount of grains.

From personal experience,  your tip sinks too fast for the application. 

For beach fishing im going to be using rio hover
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:02:32 AM by clarkii »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »

You do not mention your rod weight.  I use an 8 wt single with the versa tip set up with the clear (slow sink) tip.  Previously I have also use a 5 wt single with regular floating line with great success.

I have found the pinks like cerise pink in the salt more than the bubble gum and not too big, something in a 6-8 hook.  I prefer larger bubble gum pink and chartreuse in the more coloured river water.

In the salt or the river, I only ever bother with 12-15 lbs mono in about 4-5 foot length.  They are not leader shy so don't waste yoru money on fluro and go heavier so you can bring the fish in quicker and not over tire the fish when c/r.  At Furry I have found a long slow retrieve to work the best with a few random changes in pace.

As already suggested you do not really need a sink tip.  A full floating line with a slightly longer leader 6-9 ' 12 mono and a beaded fly will be sufficient.  A fairly sparse cerise pink with silver bead on a no 6 stainless hook was my preferred fly.

GL

ALBA CHIEFISH

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 07:55:03 PM »

thank you everybody for your advice. going back to my versi tip and will let you know how i get on.

Colin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 07:11:44 AM »

I've used a variety of lines -floating, clear tip, clear intermediate head and 10feet of sinking poly tip to a floating line. What works best depends on how fast you retrieve, the stage of the tide, current and how deep the water is where you fish. Some parts of the beach get deep quite close to shore. Sometimes the fish hold down close to the bottom in these sections. I also prefer a fairly slow retrieve for pinks and that tends to make me use a floating line with a 10 foot leader most of the time. If you don't like the bump the versa tip joint makes as it passes the tip top, try poly tips.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mvelasco

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 10:19:50 PM »

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm thinking of taking my spey rod up there next week.would it be wise to use a full sink or a 5/5 t14?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »

IMHO, neither, no need for a sink tip.  A very slow sink tip, slime line, or a floating line is all you need with a beaded fly.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »

Slime line, with about 6 ft of fluoro leader, with a pink and white clouser minnow. MONEY ;)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »

You do not mention your rod weight.  I use an 8 wt single with the versa tip set up with the clear (slow sink) tip.  Previously I have also use a 5 wt single with regular floating line with great success.

I have found the pinks like cerise pink in the salt more than the bubble gum and not too big, something in a 6-8 hook.  I prefer larger bubble gum pink and chartreuse in the more coloured river water.

In the salt or the river, I only ever bother with 12-15 lbs mono in about 4-5 foot length.  They are not leader shy so don't waste yoru money on fluro and go heavier so you can bring the fish in quicker and not over tire the fish when c/r.  At Furry I have found a long slow retrieve to work the best with a few random changes in pace.

As already suggested you do not really need a sink tip.  A full floating line with a slightly longer leader 6-9 ' 12 mono and a beaded fly will be sufficient.  A fairly sparse cerise pink with silver bead on a no 6 stainless hook was my preferred fly.

GL

This was excellent advice!

Until I read this,  I never considered just using regular mono instead of tapered leader.   Went out to Furrey Creek last week with 4ft 10lb mono and it worked like a charm.  No doubt, I can turn the fly better with tapered leader and get it out, maybe, a little further but I don't think that makes much of a difference with this type of fishing.  (..and I don't have to worry about busting expensive leader so much either).