Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best spincasting salmon reel  (Read 9109 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Best spincasting salmon reel
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »

I have always been guilty of buying to heavy of a reel for salmon. 

A noticed that some people are really good at getting lures out when beach casting and some suck....

I recently got a nice rod hand made as a gift.  Looking to pair it with a decent reel. 

Reel needs to be able to deal with pink , coho.   I am looking for something I can use in the salt and fresh. 

If you have a make and model that has worked for you let me know. 

Budget- would like to keep it under 100 but if it means I get a real nice reel I will go over
see ya on the river

zacrum

Re: Best spincasting salmon reel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »

do you mean spin cast as in the ones with the button and look like a ball ?   or do you mean a spinner   or a bait caster ...     if so   i prefer the abu garcia line  they feel nice int he hand or both spinners and bait casters    but not to knowledgeable about   spin cast reels   but it is all personal prefrence in the end

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »

Shimano Sahara 2500

tworivers

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »

Depending on your rod and balance setup, Wholesale Sports have on clearance the Shimano Stradic FJ series reels.
Slightly more than your budget, but these reels are excellent value for this class of reel.

sockeyed

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »

Just bought the 2500 stradic FJ, loaded with 14# nanofil line. Night and day difference from the cheap reel I was using prior.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/36863/shimano-stradic-spinning-reel on sale, but still pricey

zacrum

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:34:19 PM »

u can pick up an abu garcia cardinal at walmart   not the best but not the worst for arpoudn 60 bucks

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »

If you aren't catching chum or chinook pretty much any 2500 series reel will do.
I use the Shimano Symetre 3000 for its 15lb drag and larger capacity. It'll handle larger fish.

The biggest factor in longer casting is the switch to Nanofil (I use 10lb). It is awesome.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »

And just to complicate matters, ;) I get away with a Shimona 1500 size reel for 95% of my spincasting. (Shimano Sedona 1500)  It's my main workhorse for spincasting for salmon and cutthroat from the beach, pinks in the Fraser and for coho in the rivers and sloughs with jigs or spoons.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »

does anyone buy a reel with a spare spool.   I wouldn't mind having one for trout and one for salmon... just different lines
see ya on the river

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »

does anyone buy a reel with a spare spool.   I wouldn't mind having one for trout and one for salmon... just different lines
Yes. I keep my 6lb on one spool for cutthroat beach fishing and 10 lb (or maybe 8 ) on the other for river salmon fishing. Really handy to have two spools.

Even with my small 1500 size reel, I only wind up using the top third of my line. So what I do is permantly fill the bottom half of the spool with a backing line and tie my Nanofil, or mono, mainline onto that backing. That way when I re-spool I'm only replacing top half, not refilling he whole reel. Much cheaper that way.             

Fishawn

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »

Shimano stradic ci4.

chronicfisher

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »

Shimano Sahara 2500

X2 got my eyes on one of these or Shimano saragosa

DRP79

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »

I just replaced my spinning  setup that got run over while camping. Pretty much the same as the last one, Pfleuger Trion reel and a 9 foot HMX. Lined and taxes it was 230 bucks. Could have been cheaper at a big store but c'est la vie.  I really liked the broken one and its pretty much the same setup so I can't wait to wet a line with it. Had a lot of fun getting to know the spinning setup last year.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »

Daiwa Ballistic 4000 - good salt water reel too.  So smooth

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 09:05:47 PM »

For a not as expensive reel, I like the Penn Fierce - around 50 bucks on Amazon.... smooth, I have two sizes and the one I take hiking/cliff climbing etc on salt has been beat to heck and still smooth as ever!  Extra spools are cheap too, if you want to quick change out different lines.....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.