Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lobster in Coquitlam river  (Read 19113 times)

mikeyman

Re: Lobster in Coquitlam river
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:26:11 PM »

No such thing as a dumb question. If u don't know...ask. Just be able to have some fun with it.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 09:29:20 PM »

Crayfish looks very much like lobsters, much more so than shrimp or prawns for example. If you don't know about crayfish but do know about lobsters it seems a reasonable question to ask.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 08:13:25 AM »

Crayfish looks very much like lobsters, much more so than shrimp or prawns for example. If you don't know about crayfish but do know about lobsters it seems a reasonable question to ask.

Exactly.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »

--reason I took a look at this thread... who knows... gold fish in yellow lake and white lake

--before getting a lecture yes I know lobster.. salt water... 1/2 the family is from Nova Scotia. Had lobster last night and always a concern about where purchased as often substituted with fresh water farmed  crayfish... and called lobster

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »

That must have been lobster meat.
Tails are totally different colour.
But I know what you mean.

If you buy crayfish from a fish store they usually come from down south ('merica) and they look more like large ghost shrimp.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »

Lol good stuff, I'm proud to be deaf, I am open to be made fun of haha.  Again, like Rodney said, I'm not afraid to ask questions, life's about learning and exchanging information :)

Good attitude.  I would guess there are MANY people that have mistaken crayfish for lobsters in our local rivers and lakes.  I had no idea there were crayfish locally until I saw some in the Stave one year and did a little googling.

Burbot

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »

Has anyone here tried them? I have seen them in many streams and lakes.  I guess one would cook them like lobster or crab?

mikeyman

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 12:34:40 AM »

They taste good...gotta get from cold clean fresh water...

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 06:03:32 AM »

We were at the Harrison swimming the other day and my kids found a dead crawdad on the rocks, it took me a bit to get them to swim again once they knew there was lobsters in the river. Good thing I didn't point out the 7 foot Sturgeon that was swimming around that area.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »

We were at the Harrison swimming the other day and my kids found a dead crawdad on the rocks, it took me a bit to get them to swim again once they knew there was lobsters in the river. Good thing I didn't point out the 7 foot Sturgeon that was swimming around that area.

Lol, I don't think your kids would ever go swimming again if you had done that.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

TimL

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »

Has anyone here tried them? I have seen them in many streams and lakes.  I guess one would cook them like lobster or crab?
I've tried them at some buffet place while vacationing in the states..good eating, but not too much meat on them, mostly concentrated at the tail. Need to get at least a few to make a good meal.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »

We use to swim rivers with small lunch boxes and dive for them. Flip the largest rocks you can and catch them by hand and throw them in the lunch bag.

They taste much better than crab or lobster IMO. Boil them in salted water until they turn red and scream. Normally it takes about 5 minutes. Most of the meat is in the tails, but you can also eat the claws on larger ones.

Best places for them that I've seen on the mainland are Jones lake and the lower Vedder River. You can keep 25 per person which is more than enough for a good side to a meal (they went well with pasta). You typically get as much meat as you would in a prawn tail.

KarateKick

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »

When I was a little girl my dad found one in a stream at Deer Lake in Burnaby, and I kept it as a pet for a while.

I put the crayfish in the same tank with a couple dozen teeny tiny fish that the adults caught for me. The next morning all the fish were gone.  >:(

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:42 AM »

The stream that goes between Deer Lake and Burnaby Lake has lots of crayfish.

Moloto

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »

I've seen crayfish in nearly every local body of water - Alouette, Stave, even Lafarge