Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder opening day  (Read 34335 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Vedder opening day
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »

Ya I just checked their site and you're right. I would assume they meant to put that in the Fraser slot on their reports section as I'm sure you've read here before it's like front page news on this site whenever a boat goes passed the hwy 1 bridge. The absolute farthest I've seen a jet on the vedder was going up at Peach but I've heard of them going above the crossing. Never seen a boat fishing above hwy 1 though not saying it's happened. There's just to easy of shore access to make it worth it. That and the self entitled shore fisherman would have a fit if the boat ran through the run.

I saw a boat zooming up under the HWY 1 overpass yesterday.

TNAngler

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »

Back trolling, at least the way I did it years ago, involves rowing, no motor, slowly floating downstream but slower than the current, allowing your lure to work downstream from you.  I would assume the nameless hordes on the river probably wouldn't appreciate a boat floating through when you can cast all the way across.

banx

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »

Probably not. But I would rather see people pulling plugs from a drift boat than a bunch of people in jet boats.

Walleye76

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

Been out probably 12-14  times since the opening, have only seen 3 springs landed and a lot of sockeye rising from the crossing down over last week and a half. Tons of steelhead smolts both on the fly and drift rod for me but that's it for this guy. Did have the pleasure of watching a ripper get busted and ticketed at KWB as he was trying to snag sockeye. Good to see atleast some get caught
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:09:35 PM by Walleye76 »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »

What is a ripper, please?

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »

I could be wrong, but I think a ripper is a snagger who fishes with an extremely long leader and rips the fishing line through the water in hopes of snagging or lining a fish. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

losos

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »

Walleye76

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »

Snagger, ripping thier line when it drifts over fish to try and snag them. There was a 5-6 sockeye sitting in the pool at KWB he was trying to snag
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:11:15 PM by Walleye76 »

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »

Back on topic, the fishing today was very slow. Fished the peach road area and saw no signs of any springs or sockeye for that matter. Caught a couple steelhead smolts but nothing else. Didn't see anyone else get anything either. The river is in desperate need of some rainfall. If you are planning to fish the river, first or last light will be key in these conditions. Also, if you head out during mid day, you can expect to see many people sunbathing along the river, swimming or tubing which is a conflict of interest for fisherman to say the least. While I was fishing the run, a guy decided to come over and dive right in front of me into the pool I was fishing. Had to have a laugh! ;D I packed it in and headed home after that! 

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »

Here's a pic of the river in the peach road area.

Walleye76

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2015, 08:21:25 PM »

Here's a pic of the river in the peach road area.
Lol was it right at the point by the Rapids? I had same thing happen there on Monday

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »

Lol was it right at the point by the Rapids? I had same thing happen there on Monday
Yes it was. Quite funny lol  ;D

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »

Been fishing the last few days but have had no action, nor have I seen anyone around me get anything either besides the odd steely smolt. This is usually around the time I would start hooking these reds or at least see others catch some. The super low and clear water conditions have indeed affected this year's run. Hopefully the temperature drops a little to make the fishing more comfortable for the lazy guy who doesn't like getting up early and fishing at first light.  :D Has anyone had any luck recently? I'll post a pic of the conditions on the lower river this morning.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 11:54:42 AM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »

Been fishing the last few days but have had no action, nor have I seen anyone around me get anything either besides the odd steely smolt. This is usually around the time I would start hooking these reds or at least see others catch some. The super low and clear water conditions have indeed affected this year's run. Hopefully the temperature drops a little to make the fishing more comfortable for the lazy guy who doesn't like getting up early and fishing at first light.  :D Has anyone had any luck recently? I'll post a pic of the conditions on the lower river this morning.
3 so far, 2 lost and very nice for the table too, go well with Joiner corn. With the Fraser openings much in doubt for some time, I need to get some nice chinook for eating fresh and to can.

Working on The Journal before Rod fires me.lol

Also all the swimmers make it good for plucks but some leave too much garbage behind as well, beaks. ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:51:51 PM by chris gadsden »