Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder opening day  (Read 34338 times)

SteelheadAdict

Re: Vedder opening day
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 09:03:25 PM »

have fished the past 2 days and there are actualy some fish around there were some reds in the upper river we found sitting in a tail out and have seen a few rolling in the lower

Drewhill

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »

have fished the past 2 days and there are actualy some fish around there were some reds in the upper river we found sitting in a tail out and have seen a few rolling in the lower

Interesting. I was in Fred's yesterday and they haven't heard of a spring hit above the highway bridge. The ones rolling and in the tail out could just be sockeye.

SilverChaser

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »

Went out yesterday for a few hours but nothing. Buddy beside me landed a nice little steelie smolt (?) around a pound or so that he carefully released.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »

A bit off topic but yesterday I watched a large mink catch a silvery fish of about 8", most likely a hatchery released steelhead or small whitefish, at the boomsticks, Vedder Bridge. I certainly knew they ate fish, now I have a better appreciation of their hunting ability as this guy came off the bottom, maybe 8' deep in mid river, firmly holding it's catch.  Very cool to see :)

Humpy

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 10:57:20 PM »

Quite a few trout around but no springs in the upper yesterday.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

SilverChaser

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 12:48:15 PM »

Got a solid little 10'' hatchery rainbow yesterday that I released. Giving it another shot today.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 07:17:43 PM »

A bit off topic but yesterday I watched a large mink catch a silvery fish of about 8", most likely a hatchery released steelhead or small whitefish, at the boomsticks, Vedder Bridge. I certainly knew they ate fish, now I have a better appreciation of their hunting ability as this guy came off the bottom, maybe 8' deep in mid river, firmly holding it's catch.  Very cool to see :)
This is why you need to carry a camera on your dalily walks as you seldom carry a fishing rod these day. :-X

sandy999

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »

There a few fish around. I go walking on the Rotary Trail every morning and I have seen two springs landed.

Apennock

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 06:05:38 PM »

I was out on the Vedder today.  Had a little bit of action from coarse fish but no sign of springs.

sandy999

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »

I saw another spring caught this morning-It was very close to chrome,only a slight touch of colour and it was in the 10lb. range.

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »

Saw this video clip of a nice red spring caught yesterday. I have been out 4 times this season and have only caught a couple steelhead smolts which were carefully released. I have seen a couple fish rise (likely sockeye) but that's it. The springs seem to be few and far between or they're just shooting through the river to the hatchery due to the low and gin clear water. Will likely try tomorrow in the lower river. I will post my report tomorrow evening. Anyways tight lines all! http://youtu.be/vwOraqRDDsE

TNAngler

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »

If someone were looking to do some backtrolling on the Vedder, where would they normally do that?  Lower river?  Upper?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 08:01:51 AM »

The only place people fish from boats is the lowest portion before it meets the Fraser. This area is called the canal and is to slow and snaggy to back troll. The chilliwack vedder systems runs are to small to back troll IMO.  This method hasn't really caught on in the Fraser, although we have done it up North quite a bit for Chinook.

TNAngler

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 08:09:22 AM »

From Fred's fishing report under the Chilliwack/Vedder system

"Back trolling from a boat with Flatfish, Kwikfish, and Brad's Wigglers is becoming more and more popular."

The part of the canal I have seen wouldn't be fast enough it seems.  The upper I'm not sure there is enough water consistently.  Granted, I grew up backtrolling in much less water but a lot fewer people too.  Just not sure where Fred's thinks this is happening.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »

Ya I just checked their site and you're right. I would assume they meant to put that in the Fraser slot on their reports section as I'm sure you've read here before it's like front page news on this site whenever a boat goes passed the hwy 1 bridge. The absolute farthest I've seen a jet on the vedder was going up at Peach but I've heard of them going above the crossing. Never seen a boat fishing above hwy 1 though not saying it's happened. There's just to easy of shore access to make it worth it. That and the self entitled shore fisherman would have a fit if the boat ran through the run.