Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Close Rivers?  (Read 12650 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Close Rivers?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »

Immediate closure for salmon fishing in the Stamp, Sproat and the rest of Somass came in effect today.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=172584&ID=all

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 06:35:36 PM »

Seeing fry stranded in some back waters should volunteers taking it to task to get them to the main stem as I am sure FOC will not. I imagine a permit would be needed. I know the FVSS did this a few years ago.
Was told by a retired FOC person today not a good idea as going from a warm backwater to the mainstream which is cooler, means certain death too.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 10:59:42 PM »

--Ban should be for all C&R fisheries or where there is high probability of catching non target fish that are required to be released when temps exceed .... whatever is deemed appropriate as a cut off.

--New regs this year for kettle river where date was set when lethal C&R temps and water flows... nothing stoping an in season closure once these thresholds are met... would hope that in years where adequate flow and temp that the chose date would also be extended when appropriate.

--We don't need regs if we are given the criteria... most won't fish... the same people that most often follow the rules.

--Our fishing club does not fish local trophy lakes when temps rise even though there is no regulation that requires it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »

Southern Vancouver Island streams will be closed to all fishing starting tomorrow until September 30th.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1517/region1.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »

Good for the province!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »

Was told by a retired FOC person today not a good idea as going from a warm backwater to the mainstream which is cooler, means certain death too.

What about pools left over that have fry in them?  On a Squamish trib about a month ago there were numerous pools with tons of fry in them leading to a certain death anyways.  Maybe acclimatizing them slowly into the mainstem like when we bring fish from a pet store home?  I didn't move the fish but still feel that I should have tried something.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 03:27:05 PM »

What about pools left over that have fry in them?  On a Squamish trib about a month ago there were numerous pools with tons of fry in them leading to a certain death anyways.  Maybe acclimatizing them slowly into the mainstem like when we bring fish from a pet store home?  I didn't move the fish but still feel that I should have tried something.
It's tough to see stranded fry or parr, and it's human nature to try to help. Perhaps if a minimum stress method of capturing these fish was used it would be good, but short of digging a trench so the fish could move out voluntarily, I don't know how that could be done.  Chasing them around in shallow, warm water with a dip net or small seine would most likely be counterproductive, imo.
As DFO's Matt Foy,the guru of habitat restoration on coastal rivers said ... some years they make it, some years they don't.  The best overall plan is gated, controlled flows in off channel areas, and thankfully there are several of those on the Chilliwack.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »

Thanks for the response.  Usually I wouldn't think twice about the stranded fry but knowing this year is going to be so dry I was worried.  Thankfully the trib I was wandering around does have side channels and a whole wack of recent restoration work.  I'll take comfort that the birds will have a good meal  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »

Hopefully they shut down most if not all of the local streams/rivers asap. I've seen tributaries dry that i have never seen dried out before.  :'(

On the plus side - despite the heat - some of the local lakes are fishing amazingly well (best i've seen it in ages, despite the heat  :-X ).

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »

The fish will be in pools this year so, yes they will hold up tgere, and yes I will be the first to freak on anyone bottom snagging, long leadering , it's up to us to police these spots from this behavior, don't get into a fight just point out these fish bite and any undue stress this year is unacceptable, sockeye and springs will be in same pools

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »

a question for you respected old timers. is this something you have seen before? i hope this is not the new normal for our southern coast.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 06:17:06 AM »

In 2006 we witnessed a similar very low water year. By early September the Fraser River had 10 feet of visibilty and to tell you the truth the Chinook fishing was beyond excellent. Anchoring with large spinners was incredible fishing. As a fishing guide who cares deeply about the health of our fisheries, I was very concentrated on strictly catching our limit then stopping fishing, no catch and release. In these years of warm water and concerns with release mortality, anglers should concentrate on fishing with methods that are species selective, and only target Salmon that you are going to keep. For the Fraser River this means use large lures that are specific to Chinook Salmon. get your limit then be done for the day.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 06:20:45 AM »

a question for you respected old timers. is this something you have seen before? i hope this is not the new normal for our southern coast.
This old timer has been wandering the C-V for over 55 years  ... I have not seen the river this low at this time of year before, and this is the first year there was not a freshet.  September will be scary if there is no significant rain.