Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breaking Fly Line  (Read 5740 times)

nickfrost

Breaking Fly Line
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:39:01 AM »

Noticed today that part of my floating line has ripped and is barely hanging on. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
Ive been looking online for a solution but still unsure.
Thanks in advance,

SPEYMAN

Re: Breaking Fly Line
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »

If you could explain what or where you may get some help. Has the coating come off, is the line parting at a loop? Picture will be helpful.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »

if its within a couple feet of the end then just chop it off. If it's further in than around 5' then I think your better off buying a new line. Losing more than the first few feet will usually drastically change a fly lines dynamic especially if it's a weight forward line or some sort of thicker front tapered type line.

If your line happens to be a Double Tapered line then just chop off the bad end, remove the entire line and then put it back on the other way around

If the line is less than a year old your local shop should be able to warranty it for you
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

nickfrost

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »

It is about 3 inches away from the loop where my leader is connected. I think my best bet is to just chop the end off or take it back in for warranty as its only a month old.
Thanks for the help

SPEYMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:14:41 PM »

Take the line back to the store you purchased it from. They should replace it if it has not been abused or mishandled.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »

It is about 3 inches away from the loop where my leader is connected. I think my best bet is to just chop the end off or take it back in for warranty as its only a month old.
Thanks for the help

Just hope you didn't buy it on sale. :)

sandy999

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »

Thanks for the help
[/quote

If the line is NOT covered under warranty and before you just cut the piece off,try slicing the two pieces together. is sounds like you may have caught the line between some rocks. There is lots of information on the internet showing how to do this.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 06:35:52 PM »

Thanks for the help
doubt this is covered by warranty. Michael and young can put a new welded loop on the end or you can put in a nail knot loop or just nail knot the leader back on after cutting it clean above the damage.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:52:01 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »

doubt this is covered by warranty. Michael and young can put a new welded loop onthe end or you can put in anail knot loop or just nail knot the leader back on after cutting it clean above the damage.

Most likely is.  I had a welded loop split, sent it in and it was covered.

Also had a crack right at the loop, same thing sent it in and it was covered.

Companies were Rio and SA.

nickfrost

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 12:03:34 AM »

Thanks everyone for the help!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 08:53:27 PM »

Most likely is

hopefully is but don't assume so. The main point is this is easy to deal with and the line is not wasted - 'nuff said.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »

Any reputable fly line company should warranty your line within 1 year of purchase due to defects like cracking or peeling. Especially if you have the purchase receipt to show when you bought it

If you happen to snap the line on a fish or snag your out of luck because then its user error

My dad even had his Versa Tip line warrantied by Rio and it was 5yrs old !!!  ???

I myself have only ever had to warranty 1 fly line and it was due to the line peeling and cracking. M&Y did an over the counter swap for me
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 09:29:26 PM »

It will depend where it was bought and what brand of line it is - neither of which has been specified - probably for a reason. Lines can be abraded due to accident mis-use or inadvertent application of certain solvents like DEET or even sun screen. Don't know if that's warrantied.

As I said M&Y will put a new welded loop on any line for no charge. My Rio flight had cracked at the loop and they replaced the loop. They told me it would crack again and fairly soon - just bring it back as I preferred. The core was strong and the line would not break.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:32:00 PM by RalphH »