Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Acrylic paint  (Read 4781 times)

KarateKick

Acrylic paint
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »

Has anyone tried using acrylic paint to paint lures?

My kid keeps using up my best nail polish to paint spinners so I am walking around with bare nails :'(

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Acrylic paint
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »

Yes I paint my own spoons and I have used Testors enamels, which I think are acrylics.  They even have spray or marker pens in addition to the small paint pots.  The chartreuse colour they have is identical to one of my favorite store bought spoons, so I buy the cheaper plain spoons and paint them up.  The paint holds up just the same as the commercial spoons.

More info on the Testors paint can be found here:

http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/enamel-paint/

Here is a nice Coho fluorescent orange to try:

On the north shore you can find them in that hobby store near Crappy Tire, towards Brooksbank.

Another cheaper and quicker way to add colour to spoons or spinners is you use coloured electrical tape.  It works pretty good and you can easily change colours on the fly!

HTH.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »

You're welcome.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »

A lot of info is wasted on those that want immediate gratification.
Some brag with new found info.
Others seek that which they don't understand.

Hopefully, some silent, humble newbie will take the info in this and other threads and better them selves and others.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »

Maybe they have busy lives and don't get to read everyday guys. Sheesh, I don't know what's worse.

KarateKick

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »

Knnn, I apologize for not reading your answer sooner; it's been a bad week.  :(

Your help is very much appreciated.  I am going to try the coho fluorescent orange.  I think it'll look good on my nails too.

Tylsie

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

First, yes the testors paint work well, but I find them expensive. I have found that you can get nail polishes on sale in a lot more colours and for cheaper. Add a clear coat and they last just as long.

As for the comments for the rest of the thread, wow!!! People need to grow up. People have lives, people forget, and sometimes it isn't worth the time. No one asked for your secret spot, best bait, or to date your daughter, or even a secret way to improve his/her lure. They just asked if someone had ideas for a product to do what they already do. 

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:38 AM »

WOW! Is right.
Then a rant thrown in?
Tone is hard to express on the interweb and people read what the want to hear.
I'm sure a face to face "spoken" understanding of the written words would be far different than one's pre-concieved notion of what is meant.

We're all guilty from time to time but we should all reread posts that instill such reaction before we lash out.

This isn't the first time nor the last.
But take a deep breath....
Ask yourself..."am I reading/understanding  this correctly"
 ;)

Silver

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 11:57:42 PM »

Acrylic paint is not a good choice for metal lures. It is water based and doesn't stay stuck to smooth surfaces well...it will come off as a film with immersion.
It's also just too thick and doesn't come in vibrant colors.

I want to do the same for coho and pinks, and found this at the dollar store. Picture doesn't do it justice, the green is almost a perfect chartreuse, and all are flourescent. Might even go get some glitter dust to shake on when the polish is wet...kid says its clearanced at at Michaels.

Couldn't be more perfect. I will even use the blue as I got a tip from the tackle shop that it's a productive color also.

I am going to paint the body only on some copper spinners, so that the blade flash is not affected.

KarateKick

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 10:05:51 AM »

Great info everyone.  I have a couple more questions:

1. Primer: It is true that many paints don't adhere well to smooth metal surfaces; has anyone tried applying a primer before applying the paint?

2. Base colour: Sometimes a bright paint or nail polish will look totally dull after I apply it to a darker surface (such as lead); have you found a need to first apply a white layer before applying a fluorescent colour?

3. Overcoat: A friend suggests I can use a fluorescent paint (or sticker) that is not waterproof if I put nail polish on top; has that worked well for any of you?

4. Spray paint: I've seen "survey marking" spray paint with really nice colours; has anyone tried that?

Thank you!

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »

Great info everyone.  I have a couple more questions:

1. Primer: It is true that many paints don't adhere well to smooth metal surfaces; has anyone tried applying a primer before applying the paint?

Yes most paints benefit from a primer, particularly on smooth surfaces.  Paint adhesion is also improve if the substrate is roughed up with sand paper to provide a key for the paint to adhere to. I have not tried a primer, but will try sanding my metal sppons before painting for the next set I try.  The Testors paint I referenced before appears to adhere just as well as the paint on commercial spoons, even without sanding..

2. Base colour: Sometimes a bright paint or nail polish will look totally dull after I apply it to a darker surface (such as lead); have you found a need to first apply a white layer before applying a fluorescent colour?

With  the Testors, the first 2 coats were dull but a third or fourth were bright and fully coloured.  A white basecoat may help to reduce the number of top coats, but I'm not sure it will provide much of an advantage in the number of coats you end up applying.

3. Overcoat: A friend suggests I can use a fluorescent paint (or sticker) that is not waterproof if I put nail polish on top; has that worked well for any of you?

4. Spray paint: I've seen "survey marking" spray paint with really nice colours; has anyone tried that?

That's an interesting idea, may have to try that.  Thanks.

Thank you!

Humpy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »

For the last pink run, I used pink spray paint to paint up some spoons and the fish loved it.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.