Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question for those familiar with Ambleside...  (Read 5239 times)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
Question for those familiar with Ambleside...
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »

Greetings,

I've been down to Ambleside a few times this year, fishing at low tide. Most times I've gone it's been quite low, at around .5-.6 meters.

I was planning on going on Sunday (low tide at sunrise, huzzah!), but a check of the tide chart shows a tide of 2.8 meters. So I think the bars there will still be underwater and not even wadeable.

I've been once before where the tide wasn't so low, and it was snag city cause everything is then so shallow.

I guess I'm asking if there's a strategy for when the low tide isn't so low. Just try to cast between the two spits as best as you can? Move down the beaches?

I can see how flyfishing has a bit of an advantage here.

Any thoughts appreciated...

Britguy

• Old Timer
Re: Question for those familiar with Ambleside...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »

I have seen many fish schooling in the shallows
you just need to use light gear

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »

^Yup, when they are around you will often see fish jumping close the the rip rap shoreline or you could try off the point with the statu. 

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »

Thanks!

So skip the casting weights and don't worry about casting far, and just try to cover some water and see what happens I guess...

ride604

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »

2.8 is pretty high for a "low", bars will definitely be underwater/non-wadeable and I would think you'd be fishing shallow/snaggy water from shore.  I went twice last weekend at high slack (4.6 I think), no signs of adult fish yet but there were plenty of little juveniles (smolt I guess) that would follow lures the same size as them (3/8 oz croc) and a seal stunning bait just off the dog park break water.  I would think you'd have better luck in the cap itself, odd fish is supposedly moving up, just not in significant numbers yet.  If you head out post up your results.  Just a heads up also that there is a little known bylaw where fishing is prohibited between the dog park fence 10m (ish) west of the dog park break water (not the totem pole one) all the way to the 14th street pier.  Doesn't stop the smelt netters but I did see 8 people get ticketed last summer for it, mind you it was swimming season.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »

Thanks! I decided to skip it in favor of another couple of hours in the shop. Might hit Cap this afternoon for some more exploring...

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »

definitely a bit early for the coho to be there  and don't forget the pinks will be around this year
once you see them jumping get out there and hit the outgoing early tides
light gear (well not too light) small spinners with a bit of color  ;)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »

Thanks,

I've read (here) that the Cap has a coho run as early as April/May which makes me think they might be out there waiting for the river level to rise. This is my first year at it so I'm speculating for sure. But I have seen others there at the times I've gone, so it might not be entirely irrational.

The pinks aren't for a few more months I understand.

Ended up walking up the Cap from the highway bridge to the suspension bridge area. Obviously not something possible when there's a decent river level. No signs of fishies, just fishers...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »

In typical years, the spring Ambleside beach fishery is marginally productive with the higher river water levels and the relatively small numbers of “blueback” coho. You would have more success in the river itself than off the beaches.

That all changes in the summer when the river levels drop and more (and bigger!) fish arrive and begin to stage off the mouth.

However, savvy Capilano anglers know that a summer rainfall can produce a brief window of dynamite river fishing. With a heavy enough rainfall to significantly increase the flows, the fish surge upstream. For a couple of days, until the flows subside and the fish have reach the safety of the hatchery, the fishing can be fast and furious. Blink and you’ll miss it.

This local article may be helpful http://www.sea-run.com/beach-salmon-vancouver/        

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 02:26:52 PM »

The snow pack is non-existent this year, so we are already at summer levels.  Beach fishing is probably more productive than the river itself until some rain comes.  May be a few fish sneak in during high tide, but encountering them will be tough.

G-Ratt

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 03:01:21 PM »

The Capilano Kayak club supplies a camera feed to the water levels on Cap River, here is the link:

http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/

This is a very basic guideline but:

If the meter is below 2 or 2.5 - Go to Ambleside

If the meter is above 2.5 - The river is where you want to be

Of course there are variations to this, there might be a huge spike in water level overnight, and it could be back down to 2 by morning. Any time after a high-water event, the river fishing will be decent.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 12:08:43 AM »

Most appreciated all!

It helps me feel that my thinking is somewhat rational and not just wishful thinking...

It's one thing to fish and not catch, and another to chuck metal into a non starter.

Hope to learn the difference sooner rather than later:)