Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bowen Island Fishing-Should I??  (Read 9977 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Bowen Island Fishing-Should I??
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »

An out of town friend is visiting next weekend and he likes to go out for some salmon fishing. I understand that it's still a bit early for salmon fishing in the Burnard inlet or the mouth of the Fraser but I was thinking of taking him out to the Bowen Island area to troll for some spring Chinook. I have a 16' aluminum boat with downriggers. Never have crossed the street from west van to Bowen and am not sure if it's safe to do so at this time of the year. Would you guys do it on a a fair weather day? I don't want to push it if it's not safe. Is this fishery still productive in that area and if yes, what kind of bait/gear would you use?

Thanks for the advice.

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Bowen Island Fishing-Should I??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:36 PM »

It can get nasty but watch your weather, it's mostly NW winds so going home shouldn't be a problem.
Sometimes Howe sound has a northerly out flow making the crossing tuff aswell.
If your comfortable with you boat go for it.

Get 4" king fisher spoons Irish cream and cookies and cream, 6' leaders behind your favorite flasher ( I like green glo) riggers should be around 80-150', 120' was the hot number a few weeks ago.

Old Blue

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »

Go to sportfishingbc.com on the saltwater section, loads more info for that fishery...."the Hump"

jimstone

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:07:33 AM »

Been to the Hump 3 times in the last 10 days launching from the airport in my 16 foot Hewescraft.  If the marine forecast South of Nanimo shows wind more than the standard 5 to 15 knts its not worth it as its not that comfortable trolling all day. The marine forecast also shows reports for Howe Sound and I tend to find the Hump at Bowen Island choppy when there's a wind warning for H.S. Always check the marine forecast the morning you want to go out.
The previous post regarding which gear to use is on the money. Anchovies are being eaten by small cod every time so been sticking to spoons most of the time. Springs have been white.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »

Go for it. Just keep an eye on the weather. I have fished Sooke out of a 12 ft car topper. Got a few funny stares from people. Lol. Only went out on calm days.

RainbowMan

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »

Thanks for all the tips. Forecast looks good for this Friday. I'll probably give it a shot.

hk030405

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »

:)Tagging along here,

Friends went out last weekend out to the hump and had only a couple of bites in the late morning. two jacks released.

Going on a trip with a few friends next week staying on the island thinking to try out some shore fishing..

The island is off limits to bottom fishing so looking to do trout or salmon fishing!

RainbowMan

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »

We made it out to the Hump area on Friday. It was a very beautiful day and we didn't run into any adventures! At one point there were over 30 boats trolling in the same area. We managed to land 1 15lb white spring which my buddy managed to put on BBQ for dinner  :D (who would do that?? anyways...)

Next is to go out to the Thrasher Rock area. We saw another boat on our way back and those guys had 3 nice looking fish for 2 hours of trolling the Thrasher Rock. That was a 23' Trophy boat so I'm not sure if my 16'er will make it that far safely...

jimstone

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »

have a hewescraft 160 and wouldnt cross without a real close eye on weather and tides. weather can change fast and pounding waves for two hours on the way back isnt a way to have a fun trip