Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your thoughts  (Read 5914 times)

SPEYMAN

Your thoughts
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »

A month or so back there was a posting on another site about steelhead fishing. There were photos. The photos were of coloured fish that had been dragged up on the beach for the photos. The time of year indicated that these fish had been or were on the spawning beds. I commented that it was not appropriate to target spawning fish and was not acceptable to beach fish for photos, hero shots.

This got a very heated response from a number of posters that liked the hero shots and had no concern as to how the photos were taken.

I now see that that same individual has now posted another trip and photos of kelts. These are native wild spawned out fish that are trying to make there way back to the ocean. They have started to repair and are silverish but you can see that they have just finished spawning.

Again there are posters that have applauded this persons posting.

Am I out to lunch on this? Have been fishing for most of my 71 years, and find this attitude appalling.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »

I know of a recent young angler that has a ton of followers posting a kelt he kept. I'm wondering if this is who you're referring too. Although it's frowned upon to kill kelts, there was nothing illegal about it. It was a hatch fish, and he was a little over excited and inexperienced in what is and isn't socially acceptable amongst fishermen. He received several negative comments and realized what he had done wasn't "cool". He apologized and learned from the mistake.

People make mistakes all the time, but it's the ones doing it intentially are the problem.

This may not be the same situation, because I know he doesn't pull fish up on the rocks. Usually it's a water release.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »

Sadly SPEYMAN, fishing over staging or spawning steelhead seems to be pretty much accepted nowadays ... we older locals on the Chilliwack have long held the thought the river should be closed above Tamihi Creek starting April 1 to protect these fish.  So far the angling at whatever cost advocates are winning over the fish staging and spawning unmolested folks.

Having said that I suppose it's best anglers are catching kelts rather than soon to spawn fish, as the return rates of previous spawners on the Chilliwack is dismal ... 7% if memory serves, from reading an old study. 

SPEYMAN

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 05:38:57 PM »

My reference is about a mature, financially secure individual that continues to post hero shots of fish that are mishandled and/or should not be harassed, in my opinion. The fish in question are wild fish. The lack of empathy by a mature experienced individual shows a lack of understanding and reflects on why are resources are in such a dismal state.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »

Its those who make the rules fault.
If its open for fishing then people will fish.
When I fished Steelhead more than I do now I would allways quit early in the season because I had my fill and the quality of fish went downhill dramatically.

I have said for many years that some systems should be shut down at least a month earlier than they are and some shouldn't even be open.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »

That is it.

Those that make rules expect common sense to have some effect on our choices.

You will see that by looking at the photos those fish are not spring run fish fresh from the ocean, they are post spawners.

It is obvious that there are too many anglers that cannot identify fish or ignore the condition simply to have a hero shot to post.

firebird

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 07:57:33 AM »

It's odd that there was no mention of the clump of dark fish under the log in the second photo which makes it obvious that the run is in the late stages. Also, it's ridiculous to say that the fish sitting over redds were "nosing their way upstream through the gravel". I don't see any evidence of sea lice - it's more likely some form of fresh water copepod on them. This appears to be a case of extreme naivety. It's odd that people with their resources would choose such a fishery. Perhaps they've been hoodwinked by some unscrupulous guides or resort operators. 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »

I don't see much top worry about in the photos. That first fish looks skinny enough to be a kelt the 2nd one is less certain though he says it's a doe and I see no signs the tail has been doing any digging for redd preparation. In fact the tail looks pristine. Likewise the photo of the steelhead nosing up the gravel - not much sign of digging there - if they were digging the gravel would not be dark as it is. I also don't see any fish in the picture of the too Avon rafts - just sticks and branches. Yes the one fish was to far out of the water but I've seen photos that were much worse. Any photo where the fish is taken out of the water poses some risk. By the way the slime fish have on their skins will come back if removed - though I certainly don't agree with doing anything to remove excess amounts.

In Eastern Canada some rivers (ie the Restogouche) have spring opening for 'black salmon' (kelts). Steelhead kelts can be present just about anytime. I have a photo of a lovely mended buck summer steelhead I caught on the Fraser east of Agassiz - in early January. Percentage of kelts that make a 2nd spawning run is very low - about 10% or so. While it may not appeal to you or me catching a few kelts is unlikely to pose much harm to fish stocks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:38:36 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »

Gotta say I agree with most of your post, all but the "steelhead nosing upstream" part.  Those fish are spawning or on the short strokes leading up to gamete release ... I and a few others here on this forum have watched several hundred steelhead spawning in the upper Chilliwack River over the past few years; just because no gravel is disturbed only means they are staking out their territory and releasing the last few hormones to make spawning work. Or, they will move on to a site they consider better. Seriously, when was the last time you or anyone else saw wild steelhead out in the open, in shallow water, and pairing up like in that photo??

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »

I'd agree they may be very close to spawning and are staking out space. Sharphooks (the OP) does acknowledge the fish were farther along than he has experienced in the past: 
due to the completely whacky weather this winter (warm, zero snow, low river flows ) the fish matured early
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:37:20 PM »

I was going to say that there is nothing wrong with that post as well. Although I would not post photos of kelts, I do sometimes catch them, especially in the spring.

Many rivers on Vancouver island have a very late run of steelhead. A few that I know of rarely start before April and peak mid April, extending into May. I know of at least 3 I fish that peak end of April and into mid May and spawn in June. Knowing some rivers have these runs every year, it wouldn't be bad to go check them out. This year was early as he said.

This year we were getting a bunch of kelts in January, many rivers were done and 80% kelts vs 20% fresh by the second week of March. Just an odd tear!