Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Casting 1/8oz  (Read 2923 times)

Ben!

Casting 1/8oz
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »

Hi guys, i seem to be having trouble casting 1/8oz lures far (maybe 10 to 15feet only). heres my setup

6' rod; medium light Power; fast action
shimano sidestab 2500 reel with 10lb braid with 6lb fluro leader

I think its more my casting technique than my setup... but any input/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Daguru

Re: Casting 1/8oz
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »

What kind of braid? Some braid has a sticky coating that prevents the line from going out smoothly.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:02:24 PM »

Gear: I suspect the culprit is the 10 lb braid. Not sure what species you are fishing for, but I fish a lure that size with 6 lb mono and have no problem getting distance. Also check how full your spool is. Partly full spools cause drag and lower your casting distance.

Technique: Use the rod more than your arms. Let your lure dangle about 18" below your rod tip. Swing the rod behind you for your backcast, and without pausing snap the rod forward. The backward movement of the rod without the pause is what loads the rod. The loading and flex of the rod is what helps to propel your lure. Try using your wrists more than your arms.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »

The 10b braid should not be an issue. I use 10lb PowerPro as main line for my Shimano Stradic 1000 and it casts 1/8oz, 1/16oz just fine. A slower ultralight rod would work better IMO. Faster, especially shorter spinning rods don't work well with casting small lures.

Ben!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »

What kind of braid? Some braid has a sticky coating that prevents the line from going out smoothly.
suffix  ;)

Gear: I suspect the culprit is the 10 lb braid. Not sure what species you are fishing for, but I fish a lure that size with 6 lb mono and have no problem getting distance. Also check how full your spool is. Partly full spools cause drag and lower your casting distance.

Technique: Use the rod more than your arms. Let your lure dangle about 18" below your rod tip. Swing the rod behind you for your backcast, and without pausing snap the rod forward. The backward movement of the rod without the pause is what loads the rod. The loading and flex of the rod is what helps to propel your lure. Try using your wrists more than your arms.
hmm, my spool isnt full, at least not all the way up to the rim. I'll try your suggested technique next time!

The 10b braid should not be an issue. I use 10lb PowerPro as main line for my Shimano Stradic 1000 and it casts 1/8oz, 1/16oz just fine. A slower ultralight rod would work better IMO. Faster, especially shorter spinning rods don't work well with casting small lures.
thanks rod!