Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Restricted flyfishing at LafarGE?  (Read 4600 times)

bbwong

Restricted flyfishing at LafarGE?
« on: May 15, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »

Just flyfished at Lafarge. A lady told me there is no flyfishing allowed at the west side of the lake. Anyone know this?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Restricted flyfishing at LafarGE?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 08:45:18 PM »

I'm just speculating, perhaps it's because of the number of walkers and joggers using the trail.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »

Nothing mentioned in the regulations.

bbwong

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:29:16 AM »

Talked to my friend. He said there is a sign on the lake mentioned "No fly cast cross the walkway". Basically, the lake is surrounded with a walkway, that means only "roll cast" is allowed. Perhaps because of number of careless flyfishmen didn't watch their back cast .  >:( :'(

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »

Watching your backcast.  Whilst important in high traffic areas, every party needs to be aware of their surroundings.  This INCLUDES pedestrians walking/jogging on paths.  For a flyfisher, the back cast is exactly that, at his back.  His target area is out front, and watching the water can be the difference between catching fish and not.

Personally we as fly fishers are responsible for the first lift off of the water.  In other words, on our first false cast we are too ensure no one is behind us.  Once it is safe, and the cast has been started, the responsibility moves to those people who are moving through the area.  It is common sense to not walk behind a fly fisher until his line is down on the water (if the fly fisher puts the line on the water and lifts again, that is his responsibility) just as it is common sense not to walk infront of a vehicle travelling at speed.  (This being said this does not give the fly fisher an excuse to sit there for a minute casting)

Unfortunately common sense is getting increasingly more rare these days...

Ian Forbes

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:41:23 PM »

Learn to Spey cast... even with a single handed rod it works. Or, time your back casts between walkers.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:04:38 AM »

...or obtain/use a float tube or water craft.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »

Personally we as fly fishers are responsible for the first lift off of the water.  In other words, on our first false cast we are too ensure no one is behind us.  Once it is safe, and the cast has been started, the responsibility moves to those people who are moving through the area.  It is common sense to not walk behind a fly fisher until his line is down on the water

I disagree...but that's just me. You are responsible for every one of your false casts. If you can't safely cast across pedestrian walkway, then roll cast, spey cast, or don't flyfish there at all.   

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 11:46:50 PM »

I disagree...but that's just me. You are responsible for every one of your false casts. If you can't safely cast across pedestrian walkway, then roll cast, spey cast, or don't flyfish there at all.

well given your handle has one i and mine ii I would say we disagree there as well  ;D