Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore Fishing in Victoria  (Read 13244 times)

hk030405

Shore Fishing in Victoria
« on: May 03, 2015, 11:49:32 PM »

Been to Ogden Point a few years ago and fished there for a couple days with no success and lost a bunch of gears.
Pretty much spent over half of the trip tying gears while at the breakwater. Despite all the snags, it was a fun and challenging experience.
Now with the fences installed to the breakwater, are people still able to fish there?
Has anyone had any recent experiences fishing there?
I am probably going to be bringing my spinning gear and try my luck with some jigs and buzzbombs for chinooks or maybe coho?

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions guys,
Snag city here I come.

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
Re: Shore Fishing in Victoria
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »

Try the rocks off McNeill beach in Oak Bay or the Rocks off Oak Bay Golf Course. Seen beauty salmon landed at both spots. Same with breakwater at Oak Bay Marina.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

hk030405

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »

Try the rocks off McNeill beach in Oak Bay or the Rocks off Oak Bay Golf Course. Seen beauty salmon landed at both spots. Same with breakwater at Oak Bay Marina.

Thanks for the input! Looking forward to exploring new spots!
But would still like to know if Ogden Point breakwater is fishable tho.. Last time I was there I also saw some huge sea lions swimming pass me up close.
It was quite a scenery  :D

Speyhead

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 02:10:55 AM »

Yep you can lose a pile of gear on the rocks off Ogden Point, many use spark plugs for weights there must be a million of em down there....Apart from sea lions, it used to be a popular location for scuba divers....Ive seen Greenling, Ling, and salmon caught there.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »

http://shorecaster.bizhosting.com/locations/locations.html

Just an FYI. I can't vouch for it.   

Snapperhead

• Currie Artworks
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »

It's Victoria Golf Course not Oak Bay.
Currie Artworks
Whistler B.C.

hk030405

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »

http://shorecaster.bizhosting.com/locations/locations.html

Just an FYI. I can't vouch for it.

I've read the page a few times too, lots of great info! Thanks again!

It's Victoria Golf Course not Oak Bay.

Ahh I was looking at google map and thought the same thing, thanks for the update !! :)

Yep you can lose a pile of gear on the rocks off Ogden Point, many use spark plugs for weights there must be a million of em down there....Apart from sea lions, it used to be a popular location for scuba divers....Ive seen Greenling, Ling, and salmon caught there.

Yes when I was there I did see several diving groups went in!
I recall seeing a couple of guys casting lures near sunset, I believe one of them told me its sea bass. They were landing one after another for a good 15minutes. Looked up on the dfo site cant find anything about sea bass though...

TimL

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »

I've read the page a few times too, lots of great info! Thanks again!

Ahh I was looking at google map and thought the same thing, thanks for the update !! :)

Yes when I was there I did see several diving groups went in!
I recall seeing a couple of guys casting lures near sunset, I believe one of them told me its sea bass. They were landing one after another for a good 15minutes. Looked up on the dfo site cant find anything about sea bass though...
The 'sea bass' that they were referring to was definitely some kind of rockfish, most likely black rockfish. See link here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/bottomfish/identification/rockfish/s_melanops.html

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 08:17:26 PM »

Fished there last year. Caught about 5 'sea-bass' released them but was fun. They all bit on the tide change.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »

"Sea bass" is indeed the common term used for black rockfish. To check for whether fishing and retention of them are open, figure out which are you are fishing in and follow it on this table:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html

Good luck!

hk030405

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 01:01:37 AM »

Had a blast even though caught 0 fish.

Fished for about 2 hours total in the afternoon when the wind started to pick up.

Started with bottom fishing rig but didn't bring any bait, so I used some mussle there; had a couple of bites but no hook up.
Then I switched to buzzbomb and started casting and retrieving. Snagged a few kelp here and there, then began to jig....

What really surprised me was, the lingcod hiding inside between the rocks about 6' away and 2' below me, kept coming out to raid my lure. Went for my buzzbomb many times and committed once, but didnt get a hookset..

Next time I'll know where to find this guy...  8) 8)

Thanks again for all the input everyone! Hoping to return again this summer!! :P