Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best place to photograph Raptors around Vancouver  (Read 13865 times)

speyghillie

Re: Best place to photograph Raptors around Vancouver
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 06:07:41 AM »

Thanks VAGAbond,
I will pick up a copy of the book before I head over to tour around the Okanagan/Vancouver and Vancouver Island for three weeks, will be fishing a lot of the time but will make time to look around for some birds and other wildlife for 2016.
Thanks Guys.
Gordon.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 08:09:49 AM »

A bit of a late reply, but Grant Narrows Park in Northern Pitt Meadows is a good place for raptors, and other birds, if you go early (aka get there around 6:30 to 7:00 before the dog walkers appear).  :-\

speyghillie

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »

Thanks Bavarian Raven,
I will have a look around as soon as I am finished guiding wildlife photographers here in Scotland, I will be spending sometime around Vancouver when I travel through from Vernon in August, my first guided trip to BC will not be until June next year, so I have plenty of time to find these places around the city, I hate city driving especially as the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car and everybody is driving on the wrong side of the road.  ;D
Thanks for the info.
Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »

There will be no "cackhanded driving"

speyghillie

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 07:25:12 AM »

Hey SPEYMAN,
There will be no "cackhanded driving"  ;D ,  in more than 40 trips to BC I have not even scratched a hire car.... did a little off roading in one and it didn't look that great underneath but it was hard to get to the river and a long walk, that the beauty of a hire car and full insurance cover.
Will be getting another one in August for a few weeks of fishing and to visit some fly stores and maybe a little dirt track stuff.
Cheers Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 07:36:56 AM »

Hey SPEYMAN,
There will be no "cackhanded driving"  ;D ,  in more than 40 trips to BC I have not even scratched a hire car.... did a little off roading in one and it didn't look that great underneath but it was hard to get to the river and a long walk, that the beauty of a hire car and full insurance cover.
Will be getting another one in August for a few weeks of fishing and to visit some fly stores and maybe a little dirt track stuff.
Cheers Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.
I just about took the passenger side mirror off of a hire car near Bath about 5 year ago - Thank God for Visa Gold Card insurance :D

speyghillie

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 09:36:36 AM »

I must confess to once hiring a brand new car at Vancouver airport with the guy handing me the keys as I got in the car, ..... and sat in the passenger seat, before getting out and getting into the drivers seat, was worth it to see the look on his face as I drove away.
Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »

So - it's almost November - do you have your plans?

speyghillie

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 04:10:17 AM »

Hi Dragonspeed,
I was over at the end of August and toured a few places around the Okanagan and then on to Van Island, going to do a couple of trips next year during the summer and then sort out a trip for November when all the Bald Eagles are on the Fraser, one of the whale watching companies runs trips in November if the weather is playing ball so that's a possible option.
I found quite a few species of birds around Vernon but to late for the Humming birds, mountain blue birds ect, I guess they arrive around the end of May, saw very few Bald Eagles on Vancouver Island in late August, but everything else was fine.
Going to send out the tour details today to everybody on my mailing list, which I could get over in November but work is getting in the way.
Thanks Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »

That's cool - yeah August in the Interior can be tough - weather is so hot.  Hummers start to show up around March at my feeder in Vancouver and then get pretty thin in numbers into August.

speyghillie

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »

Hi Dragonspeed,
I wish I had more time to look around all the places I should have visited, never made it to Boundary Bay, which was on my list, I have sent out some detail of trips to Vancouver Island just as the sad news of the whale watching boat that sank off Tofino made the news on TV here, and it was big news as the five people drowned where from the UK I believe, i watched the same boat going out when i was in Tofino, very sad news that is all over the press and TV in the UK.
Gordon.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »

Yeah - tragedy.  I look forward to hearing the cause of the sinking.  Sad about the loss of life :(