Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best place to photograph Raptors around Vancouver  (Read 14137 times)

speyghillie

Best place to photograph Raptors around Vancouver
« on: April 30, 2015, 10:45:42 PM »

Hi All,
I normally visit Vancouver on fishing trips, this year I have few friends that want to have a couple of days around Vancouver to photograph Raptors in November, we are planning a few days in Chilliwack to get some Bald Eagle images, just wondered how good anywhere around Vancouver is at that time of year, and lens size ect, they have all the gear and more as wildlife photography is their passion and we will have transport to get around.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated .
Thanks Gordon.

aquaholic

Re: Best place to photograph Raptors around Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:52 AM »

Right now is tough for raptors, A lot of birds are still nesting, Sumas flats in Abbotsford has had some juvenile bald eagles showing up more recently, Got some great pics yesterda. Turkey Vultures are out along Keith Wilson road. Heron reserve on the dyke has some ospreys as well

Check my facebook page out, I add lots on there and its all recent photos
A.Bucci Photography

speyghillie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:34:26 AM »

Hi aquaholic,
Thanks for the advise, I know Keith Wilson rd as I used to fish at the railway bridge when I visit from Scotland, been in the wack lots of times.
I am not over with the Photographers until November this year, we are going out with a guide on a jet boat for a couple of days to photograph Bald Eagles on the Harrison, its a buddy who I fish with each year.
I would really appreciate any good places around Vancouver or Chilliwack for mid November, I had a look at your facebook page and you have some brilliant images, will have a look again in a minute to see the new images, I get Ospreys by the dozen ever morning at my hide, so any other raptors would be better, my facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aviemore-Ospreys/443194042407751

Any info would be great as I hope to have a look around while fishing this year, I was thinking boundary bay or somewhere like that, but not sure for November.
Cheers Gordon.

aquaholic

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »

Yes Boundary Bay, I forgot to mention that. 64th and 72nd and Roberts Bank has Owls and lots of eagles right now mainly Juvenile. Look into the Sandpiper in the fall for the Eagle fest

I only got a few pics yesterday but its kinda slow right now

aquaholic

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »

whats your email ? I will give you some ideas through email tonight

speyghillie

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »

Hi aquaholic,
can't see a PM option, but it would be great if you could send any info help to speyghilliebc@yahoo.co.uk
I used to teach speycasting in Canada and the US many years ago and guided on the River Spey here in Scotland, thats the reason for the weird e mail addy.
Thanks Gordon.

SPEYMAN

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »

Driving the highway from Abbotsford to Chilliwack will provide e few species of hawks. They eat road kill. Can be a bit of an issue blocking a four lane highway for some pictures. Good luck.

speyghillie

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »

Hi Speyman,
My driving in Canada has been good so far, 40 trips and not a scratch on a hire car, well not many,
 I know a couple of places in the Okanagan to photograph some species, but really don't fancy the drive from Chilliwack in November in case the roads are bad, probably best to stick around the Vancouver area as we only have six days, i will be over with a fishing party before these photography guys, so it will give me a chance to get my bearings before i am over again.
Cheers for the tip, i watch a programme here called highway through hell, filmed on the coke so will be trying to do less driving than i normally do.
Thanks Gordon.

aquaholic

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:12 PM »

Go down the parallel roads along the highway. Lots around but they are a photo from your car. As soon as you stop by one they take off all the time. Best is to have your camera ready drive past them a bit and slowly get out of your car and start shooting. They don't hang around.

speyghillie

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »

Thanks Speyman and got your e mail aquaholic, thanks.
I am over with a group of fishermen in September to fish around Chilliwack before heading to the Island, will put them on the jet boat and go check out a few places you have suggested, I hope to do a few trips over the next couple of years when my wildlife guiding here in Scotland is between seasons, so November is a great time for me to get away.
Thanks for all your help.
Cheers Gordon.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 12:51:55 AM »

November - Reifel Bird Sanctuary and Boundary Bay. All around Boundary Bay from the south side park with the beach and the paths to the North side where you will often find Short Eared Owls and some Long Eared owls.

Common sights are Northern Harrier and Red Tailed Hawk as well as bald eagles and sometimes the odd peregrine.

speyghillie

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 06:51:57 AM »

Thanks DragonSpeed,
Sounds really good, I am just sending out a few details to some of the guys and girls, so we can get flights booked while its cheaper, should be a good fun trip, just one last question, and what size of lens is best for the places you mention, can you tell I do more fishing than photography.  ;D
Thanks Gordon.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 06:57:21 AM »

It's NEVER big enough :)

I shoot with a cropped sensor and 100-400. I know a guy that takes amazing shots with a  500 F/4 and 1.4 on a regular body... Do I wish I had a longer lens?  Yes.  Always?  No.

Cheers!

speyghillie

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »

Thanks DragonSpeed,
I hope to do a few trips around BC next year for wildlife photographers, the guys coming over this Nov have more lenses than I could carry.
I hope this will become a regular trip and hope to add a few other trips to BC for wildlife photography over the next couple of years, that way I can get some fishing done while they are busy doing their thing.
Thanks Gordon.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »

An excellent reference for finding birds in BC is Birdfinding in British Columbia by Russell and Richard Canning. Greystone Books