Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Over Fishing  (Read 3051 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Over Fishing
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »

RRV

Re: Over Fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »

I think it's time to ban netting.  Hook and line would be much more sustainable.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 03:50:33 PM »

Inseason information from test fisheries suggested that there were between 3 and 6 million Sockeye holding in lower Georgia Strait around mid-September.  I believe more Sockeye were estimated past Mission than what actually went by. I don't believe they all got wacked in nets before spawning or died enroute.  Migratory conditions in the Fraser were satisfactory at the time.  For many years now Fraser Sockeye were not typically holding off the mouth of the Fraser before migrating upstream and were instead entering early, but returned to holding off the mouth (longer this time around).  This likely made estimating difficult.  This provides a good example of inseason numbers being subject to possible error - not just preseason forecasts.

http://www.psc.org/NewsRel/2014/NewsRelease10.pdf

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »

I believe more Sockeye were estimated past Mission than what actually went by.
X2 on that Steve, and that seems to be the norm lately, for the reasons you mentioned and of course the hydro acoustic technology used at Mission. I know and respect many of the people involved in this program; they do the best they can under difficult and constantly changing conditions but maybe it's time for another brain storming session regarding the expectations and limitations of this site as a management tool.