Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 steelhead enumerations in the upper Chilliwack River  (Read 12654 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
2015 steelhead enumerations in the upper Chilliwack River
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:52:32 AM »

Buck and I made our first trip into the upper river today, looking for steelhead.  This is the 5th year we will be documenting spawning activity, and as in past years, we must emphasize this is not meant as a population estimate.  We simply attempt to count the same known spawning areas weekly, at the same time each year, the goal being to see if trends develop.
This is the earliest we have started, the rationale being everything else seems to be few weeks ahead of time.  Our first site was at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake where we saw 2 holding fish.  Conditions for observations were poor, with a light chop in the area fish spawn, and sunlight in our eyes.  We will attempt to count this site on future visits around noon, when the sun will be overhead.  Water temperature was 6° C.

Next up was Centennial Channel, where no fish or redds were seen.  Again the water temperature was 6°C and conditions were optimal.

5 fish were observed holding in the deeper water under the Middle Creek bridge; seeing these staging fish made us think the Box Canyon, one of the very few deep, slow pools in the upper river, would have a few fish, but none were observed.  Fwiw, back in the early 70’s, a local CO and I saw app 100 steelhead one day in this pool.

More to come in the weeks ahead.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2015 steelhead enumerations in the upper Chilliwack River
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »

Good work, saw one caught at Peach today.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »

Buck and I made our second trip into the upper river this morning.  As it was a bright sunny day we opted to check Centennial Channel first, so we would arrive at Chilliwack Lake when the sun was optimum for viewing.  Centennial had 2 fish, paired up and looking to be in love … the male looked about 1/3 the size of the female.  No redds or gravel disturbances; water temperature 6°C.  In our 5 years of counts, this is the earliest we have seen fish here.  We also picked up a few bags of garbage that will be deposited in the dumpster at the CVRCS cleanup on Saturday.
Viewing conditions at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake were better than last week, when 2 were seen.  Today, we saw 14, 4 of which, along with a trout, were on the gravel pad and spawning.  Last year on this date we saw 1, and none in previous years.  We have never seen the lake level so low; some of gravel where these fish have spawned in the past is high and dry. Water temperature was 8°C.
Viewing conditions at the Middle Creek Bridge were poor, and no fish were seen.   Next week we will check this site first, as proper sun angles are necessary for accurate observations here. One redd was seen in the new gravel put in by DFO, on our recommendation, about 100m downstream of the bridge.
Based on these early numbers we are cautiously optimistic 2015 will show a decent return to the areas we monitor. And, if the weather is suitable, we may get some of this spawning activity on film as Chris will be joining us next week.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 05:14:42 PM »

Thanx for sharing.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »

Yes thanks for this good to see that numbers have bumped up a bit and this fits with everyones assessment of the Steelheading year generally.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »

Chris and I made the 3rd trip today looking for spawning steelhead.  Despite the recent warm weather, the river was even lower than last week.   If this river actually has a freshet this spring, we believe it will be a short one.  We first stopped at the Middle Creek Bridge but viewing conditions were poor, so our counts started at Centennial Channel, where 5 fish were observed. In 2012 on at this app. date 2 were seen; in 2013 on the app. date 3 were seen, and in 2014, 0 were seen.  I think Chris got an appreciation for this magnificent salmonid habitat, how skittish these fish are, and how difficult they are to see in the water. One fish cooperated long enough for Chris to get a few photos. Water temperature was 7° C.

On to Chilliwack Lake where we were disappointed to find the gate at the Park entrance locked.  This meant a longer trek, something we weren't keen on after walking CC (we are seniors, after all, with a combined age of 137, lol!)  It was worth it though as we saw 20 fish here, most of which were spawning.  Conditions for viewing were good, but we could easily have underestimated the numbers of fish that were staging in the deep pool below the outlet.  In 2013, 20 were seen, and in 2014, 3.  Water temperature here was 8°C.  Chris was able to get some video of this site and spawning fish, which he will post later.

On the way back we tried again at the Middle Creek Bridge but the light conditions were again poor, so this site will be recorded as not counted.
All in all a good day with a good friend … topped off with Chris buying me lunch at Cookies!  More next week.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »

A brief video of the spawning steelhead area at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake. Sorry the quality of the film is not better but it gives you an idea of the areas they stage and spawn in. Sometimes they are very hard to spot and I was so suprised how spooky they are, maybe a lesson or two when you are fishing, especially to those that wade too far out in runs we are fishing.

Was an interesting day with some good exercise, excellent fellowship and a good meal at Cookies to end the trip, thanks for taking me along Dave.

https://youtu.be/rVjo1O_gej0

SirCastsAlot

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:00:06 AM »

Great to see!
Thanks

dobrolub

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »

Intersting pictures and vid. Thanks for sharing. I followed the links to see the pics from rivers cleanup. Just want to say thank you, my hat off to you.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »

Buck and I made our 4th trip to the upper river this morning, starting at Centennial Channel.  On arrival we found hooliganism at its best … several Alders chopped down in the riparian area, such a shame. After Chris and I seeing 5 last week we were expecting a few more, but it didn’t happen, only 2 were observed. On app. dates we counted 15 in 2011, 7 in 2012, 3 in 2013, and 1 in 2014.  There seems to be a problem with this channel attracting steelhead (and possibly holding them until they spawn), but pinks and coho definitely find and use it.   Imo, the entrance to this channel on the Chilliwack R needs a real look see by qualified people to see if improvements can be made for easier access by steelhead; or perhaps there are so few up river spawners, any fish finding this magnificent habitat are a bonus. 8) Water temp was 8°C
On to Chilliwack Lake where again the gate was closed … this was unfortunate as it meant Buck and I had to walk a few extra kms and, anglers wishing to fish this lake have no access to the boat launch. Last week Chris and I saw 20 fish, most of which were very actively spawning.  Today we counted 21 fish, but only 5 were on the gravel, spawning. In 2013 we saw 20, 2014 we saw 7.  Regarding this gravel there’s not much that hasn’t been dug up; not because of the number of fish, but because the water level is so low much of this man made gravel pad is exposed or in areas with minimal flow.  Sorry firebird, I had a seniors moment and forgot to bring the thermometer … and that bastard Buck refused to walk back to the truck to get it ;D ;D
Last stop was the Middle Creek bridge, where we finally had a decent view to find 2 fish, both very small.  It was good to see the recently added gravel here has been used, but it too is becoming more exposed due to low water.

Fwiw, after 5 years of documenting the observations of these fish, Buck and I speculate steelhead spawn and bugger off real fast, most certainly a survival tactic; what this means to readers of these posts is we believe we are seeing, with some obvious overlap, different fish weekly.  This is certainly obvious regarding Centennial Channel.
More next week.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:33:45 PM by Dave »

Burbot

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »

The Chilliwack/Vedder should be returned to its natural state.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »

The Chilliwack/Vedder should be returned to its natural state.

The people living in Chilliwack might be upset if we restore Sumas Lake.

firebird

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »

Great stuff Dave! 35 yrs to go?  :P

Hopefully some answers/solutions to Centennial Channel will come up before then  ;)