Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Anchor  (Read 5366 times)

Flubberdubber

Fraser River Anchor
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »

Does anyone on here know the dimensions for building a PROPER Fraser River Anchor? Too cheap to buy one when making it seems sooo simple.

Tight lines!

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River Anchor
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 05:36:24 PM »

What size boat? How heavy are you thinking? Mine is 14"x14" and weighs 30lbs works for a 16' sled with no chain.

Flubberdubber

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »

16 footer as well, 14x14 at 30lbs sounds good! big question is the fork length tip to tip and what angle is correct? I have 2" solid stock and 3/8 x 1 1/2 flat bar for forks. If you can send me the fork length than I can figure out the rest.

Cheers.

Verdi

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »

i would use 1/4 inch flat bar for the fork , if you get it stuck you want the fork to straighten out . 3/8 might be a little to thick..

i have an 18 footer and a 35 lbs work great , but some times i need to add a chain for fast water on hard packed gravel.

Flubberdubber

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:32 PM »

Thanks Verdi,

I will consider, still do need to know how long the flatbar needs to be tip to tip as well as the gap tip to tip so I can get the right angle, or does it really matter??? :-\

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:46:51 PM »

My bar is 1 1/2 hollow square (all I had at the time) filled with lead to make 30lbs. I think 2" solid square might need to be 16"x16".

Tines are 6 1/2" bent at 45deg. then short space about 4" (had to shorten mine) then 45deg. So start with 20" of flat bar and trim if need. For the point I tried 45deg. But cut it again in half for more point and better digging in compact gravel. If your tines are too long the anchor will rest on its side.

Also don't forget the 2 attaching points with the zap strap trick, saved my anchor a few times.

Anchor nest with rope cinch, love that thing.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:52:43 PM by canso »

Flubberdubber

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »

Thanks Canso, sorry for the late reply was in Vegas losing my kids inheritance! This helps a lot  ;D

Cheers.

kanuckle head

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 10:00:04 PM »

I'm in the process of building 3 different types based on size specs of an anchor that I was using, which is recently sold a Jon boat that the anchor comes with
One is virtually a clone of my old anchor with a break away zap strap connection, the second is similar but the rakes are 2 X 1/2 flat bar with an angle cut on the end of the main shaft for a sliding break away system. The third is only differ by the rakes doubled on both ends using 2 X 1/4 flat bars and an angle cut to receive a sliding break away

Wish I can post pics but I hate Photobucket & others
I did post with detailed pics on this site

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:08:18 AM by kanuckle head »