Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cabela's here?  (Read 9564 times)

obie1fish

Cabela's here?
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »

Just watching the news this morning, and there was a report that Cabela's is considering a store in Abbotsford. Remember, it's not April 1st. If it comes to fruition, I suspect the Target/Rona lots. They are right across from each other at the end of the cul de sac, and possibly joinable. What do you think?

BananasQ

Re: Cabela's here?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »

I'd say with the Target closures that we are seeing there will be the need for a large retailer to fill these.  I wouldn't be shocked if Cabelas took one or more of those across the country - there are only so many retailers that can take on those very big retail spaces.

Pin-nook

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:05:13 AM »

If it does happen, how long does it last?  Like Target, people were excited when it came into BC but when people realized it wasn't the same(prices, and merchandise) it didn't take long for it to leave town!

I've bought Abu C4's for $55 - $65 from Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops in the States and there is no way they would have those kinds of prices here!!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »

--I visited the store in Winnipeg... maybe the first time ever I've been in such a store and didn't buy anything.
--There were a few deals on discontinued models of reels but regular prices were regular
--One advantage of the store is they will likely have no shipping charges for Candian catalogue purchases picked up at the store. So some deals on Canada wide sales.

--These larger stores do make it more difficult for the smaller specialty stores to make any money on common items.

Hoop71

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »

There is a Bass Pro Shop going in that huge development in Tsawwassen off Hwy 17.

I wonder if they will carry tackle geared more towards the local game fish? Anyways it is never bad to have more choices when shopping for gear.

I will always try to buy at one of the smaller local tackle shops first and give them a chance to match a better price if available.

rustybee

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »

Sorry. Am I the only one who doesn't get Cabela's? Price on par with most local shops with less knowledgable service. Visited a few of them State side and never seem to end up buying anything...

lapa

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »

Sorry. Am I the only one who doesn't get Cabela's? Price on par with most local shops with less knowledgable service. Visited a few of them State side and never seem to end up buying anything...
X2

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »

When the USD was on par with CAD, I did a lot of online shopping for Tackle (e.g. Tackle Warehouse). Now with the CAD dollar so low, I'm not finding it worth buying south of the border online. That said, can anyone recommend their favorite Canadian online fishing store(s)? Excluding the obvious Cabelas.ca.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »

I have found better deals at one of the large outfits in Langley (you know which one!) than the Cabela's store in Tulilup. Sales people are also more knowledgeable about local waters. Having said that, I was at the Nanaimo store a few months ago and they had a massive sale on salt water gear. Prices were not comparable to other big stores in the south coast but that alone wouldn't make Cabela's my favorite fishing store!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 05:31:55 PM »

I used to be faithfull to purchasing my stuff from small shops but since selling licences is too much of a hassle for them my loyalty has gone out the window.

mikeyman

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 08:34:08 PM »

Interesting u mentioned the development in tsawassen I wonder if there is any chance on an upgraded boat launch/marina in the area.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:53:58 PM »

The Cabela's on the island is kind of lame.

Limited fly tying selection (most "fly shops" or Gone Fishin', and even Wholesale are better).
Very limited stock of lines, hooks, terminal tackle (again any other shop is better).
Rods and reels are not great, and comparable to Wholesale.
Wader/boot selection sucks, and are generally more expensive than other shops.
Saltwater everything is seriously lacking.
Spoon selection is about the only fishing thing that is worth while there.

The only pro is if you're into hunting. Crazy amount of guns, ammo and the like. More than any other store I've been to.
Also a tonne of clothing in there, again, more than any other store in the area. Lots of cammo gear, etc.

That and the fudge is good  ;D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:39:37 AM »

I agree. I needed a new pair of boots and stopped at cabelas in Nanaimo. Wasn't impressed at all and their prices were no better then Freds.
Their reloading section was horrible which was another reason I went there.

bsmcrosseyed

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »

Do you need something specific, special, creative, knowledgeable, and supports the local economy and watershed habitat? Cabela's and Bass Pro ain't it!

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »

i've been to one of the cabelas in edmonton, nothing exciting, albeit they did have some things i found i could spend money on that i might have had a hard time sourcing out here without special ordering / online shopping with the price being close to the same.  I also heard the plan was to put cabelas into the new development happening on mccullem right by the highway.