Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Islands for sale  (Read 9609 times)

Robert_G

Fraser River Islands for sale
« on: March 16, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »

I was recently browsing MLS and noticed that half the islands on the river are for sale. We used to explore these as kids. They were all public. Now it seems they are privatizing them. I thought the Fraser river was all crown land????
What gives? Carey Island, Herring Island, Strawberry Island, Bailey Island, Morrow Island, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone shed some light?

fishyfish

Re: Fraser River Islands for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »

Have to balance the budget you know.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »

I thought Herring was already private, owned by Wyerhauser or Kruger (formerly Scott). Maybe it's the corp that's dumping them not the Crown.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »

So no real explanation?

Dogbreath

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:18:04 AM »

So you thought they were public when you were a kid-what proof did you have then and what proof do you have now?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 04:46:17 PM »

The real explanation is that they have been private all along.  I couldn't imagine that there was just a land release of parcels on the Fraser Islands without much public exposure.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »

They may have been publically owned when you were a kid in the Pleistocene Era  ;) but it appears that they are currently privately owned by Kruger Products
http://matrix.cwcanada.com/asp/filecabinet/Property/927085/Kruger.pdf

Link fixed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:14:46 PM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »

the link is dead.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 07:19:33 PM »

the link is dead.
The link is to a PDF file - you may need to enable your browser to load the content (I did), but the link works just fine.

lapa

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »

The link is to a PDF file - you may need to enable your browser to load the content (I did), but the link works just fine.
It was not working for me too. Now it is OK.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »

Works now. I've never had a problem opening a link to a pdf. I also notice Clarki edited his post

Sagefishr

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »

Who's going to buy a bunch of islands that erode over time. So in 10 years you'll have next to nothing...

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 03:54:04 AM »

Herling island isn't going anywhere. I hope whoever buys it up opens it back up for the bikes and ATVers.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »

Herling island isn't going anywhere. I hope whoever buys it up opens it back up for the bikes and ATVers.

--If you want the Crown to buy it back then talk to your MLA...start a campaign/petition... it won't be free and I doubt that if the Crown purchases it that it will be designated as at bike/atv playground but one never knows.

--In USA lots of private bike, ATV parks maybe a BC association should look into it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:14:50 AM by skaha »

GordJ

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »

--If you want the Crown to buy it back then talk to your MLA...start a campaign/petition... it won't be free and I doubt that if the Crown purchases it that it will be designated as at bike/atv playground but one never knows.

--In USA lots of private bike, ATV parks maybe a BC association should look into it.
$3.75 million is a lot for a bike track. And I wouldn't want my government to pay it either. Can't build on it, I am pretty sure it is in the flood plain.