Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 100% of angling licence revenue to benefit anglers  (Read 13533 times)

losos

Re: 100% of angling licence revenue to benefit anglers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:42:20 AM »

Finally . Now they need to clean up Translink.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2013-2017/2015FLNR0026-000296.htm
Great news :D  Hopefully the Chilliwack Vedder will see some of this new money for stock assessments and nutrient enrichment.

losos

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »

3 million isn't much money. 10 million for an entire province is kind of sad. Good to hear though as thats a significant increase (43%) :). Do you think there will be any noticable difference in the lowermainland given that this is a 3 million dollar increase spread across the province?

I doubt government would part with money if it was significantly more than 3 million.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »

3 million isn't much money. 10 million for an entire province is kind of sad.

Want more money? Get more people to buy fishing licences. :)

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »

How would people feel about a modest price increase? IMHO an annual license is already an incredible deal if not a bit out of whack with the one and eight day licenses. Now that I know that 100% goes back into improving the resource I would be ok with paying a bit more. A 10% increase could mean an extra million bucks.

We always go on about more enforcement, better education, etc but not often suggestions on how to pay for it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »

Maybe the Lib's are starting to realize that fishing generates millions of dollars in revenue to them by the spin off effect of fishing that gives them a great amount of tax revenue, more than LNG at this time. ;D

wizard

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »

Hopefully hatcheries get some help. 
As I understand many hatcheries including Chilliwack's aren't run at close to full capacity and issues involving water temperatures and fish size at release can be addressed.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »

Hopefully hatcheries get some help. 
As I understand many hatcheries including Chilliwack's aren't run at close to full capacity and issues involving water temperatures and fish size at release can be addressed.

I'd like to see most hatcheries go the way of the dodo bird, rather than have more money uselessly put into them. It's been demonstrated they do absolutely nothing in recovery of wild runs, and that they actually harm wild runs in the process. I'd rather see money go towards stock assessment, figuring more out about life history of fish, doing more ocean survival, etc. Money would be better spent on research than pumping rivers full of hatchery fish. Money would also be better used fixing habitat we've destroyed so we can at least improve freshwater survival - the only thing we can actually do something about.

I really hope they follow through with the stock assessment and enforcement side of things that were stated in that release. We need more stock assessment and restoration. It would be cool to see that shift away from government (who keep cutting it), and over to a society who would actually be able to do it AND put it to use. Plus, we could always use more enforcement. It would be cool to see the money from the ticket they write go back into FFSBC as well...

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »

Anglers in Alberta are going to be paying more on the licenses for increased enforcement.  I would like to see a similar thing happen here.

http://alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=378066CA86D9D-ADA1-01C9-2C557979363BE095

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 08:01:20 AM »

Three Million is a lot more than 0. None of this will go to enforcement as that's outside FFSBs mandate. Hatcheries like the Chilliwack is a Federal operation though perhaps they'll be some more money to fund hatchery steelhead (all the other species are outside what FFSB does) in that specific hatchery but why? There is a lot of fish both  wild and hatchery.

Improving steelhead and cutthroat fisheries in other parts of the FV & Lower Mainland should have a higher priority. Cutthroat programs were chopped from what they were 20 to 30 years ago. Providing opportunities away from the one or 2 rivers with big hatchery returns could be a priority. But they can't also go dumping hatchery smolts etc here and there - what if it doesn't work? That'd be like throwing money away. Likewise steelhead on the Vanisle East Coast need attention

I'd bet a lot of the money will go to fisheries promotion. There's some sense in that given the current low Cdn$ but it doesn't help fish much or make for better fishing.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Carich980

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 08:07:40 AM »

Rather than an increase in Liscense's I'd prefer to have people pay per fish they keep. Itd be pretty easy to do on the current set up. Just have the slots added at $5 a slot for each fish where chinook get recored. Since its online and printed extra slots can be added easily enough. That would increase the funds pretty quick. Especially during Sockeye season where a lot of people already pay $10-15 a fish.

GoFishBC

• Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:24:22 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to provide more clarity around the recent news that the Society will be receiving the remaining 30% of licence revenues.

First, there are no plans to stock more lakes. In fact, in partnership with Ministry fisheries biologists we have been stocking fewer lakes over the past 5-8 years. Some of the lakes that were historically stocked did not make any sense from both a biological and a geographical perspective. We have been investing resources to enable us to make stocked lake fisheries better.

The new funding is going to be used for a variety of initiatives. These initiatives will be focused on both wild and stocked fisheries as the new funding is allowing FFSBC to expand its investments beyond stocked fisheries. The most prominent initiative is to fund the three Provincial technical committees. Currently there is a small lakes, large lakes, and a rivers committee that helps guide fisheries management decisions in the Province. The committee membership is made up of representatives from each regional office, the Victoria F&W office, and FFSBC biologists. The rivers and large lakes committees have not been receiving the resources required to implement good fisheries projects. These committees (mainly staffed by Ministry biologists) will now have significant resources to invest in stock assessment, angler access initiatives, habitat restoration and other projects that will be beneficial to BC freshwater fisheries.

The funding is also going to be used to increase compliance and enforcement through a partnership with the COS Service. In addition, there are a number of other initiatives we are going to be working on with our Ministry partners that will be beneficial to BC's Freshwater Fisheries resource and its stakeholders.

I cannot comment on where the $3 million dollar budget reduction will come from because I do not know, but I do know it is not coming from a reduction in capacity of F&W staff or the COS service.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Sincerely,

Adrian Clarke
Vice President, Science
Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »

Thanks for the extra information :) I for one am happy more emphasis will be put on rivers.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »

There is a lot of fish both  wild and hatchery.

Interesting comment RalphH ... guess it depends on one's definition of lots.  What's yours?