Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spiny ray (bass, crappie, pumpkin seed...) fishing season?  (Read 3552 times)

fish fear me

Spiny ray (bass, crappie, pumpkin seed...) fishing season?
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »

I was hoping to go out for some bass or crappie soon but I am pretty sure its still to early. I was wondering when these fish become active and what locations are better in the early part of the season? any help would be much appreciated  :) .

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Spiny ray (bass, crappie, pumpkin seed...) fishing season?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »

This early in the season you should look for shallow, weedy lakes that are the first to warm up.  I caught a 2 pound largemouth in  Boundary Lake, aka Judson Lake, in early March over 20 years ago.  This lake straddles the border just west of the Sumas crossing - I don't know if there is access on the Canadian side.  I have heard reports of bass and crappie already from some lakes just south of the border.  For crappie, the people reporting use a fish finder to find what depth the fish are holding at and drop jigs in the school. For bass, go with a 1/4 oz (give or take) lead jig with a curly grub tail, in black, clear or pumpkinseed.

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:43 AM »

kill your limit.

fishgutz63

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:46:21 AM »

Hey zap, unfortunately these species of fish are here to stay whether you like it or not    :o

Burbot

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »

Maybe but it does not hurt to kill your limit of them.  It is sad the governments have not taken illegal stocking seriously either.  They have done next to nothing about it.

sbc hris

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:54:28 AM »

Maybe but it does not hurt to kill your limit of them. 

Really? Just lay waste to them anyways because we don't like them?  That attitude has gotten man kind pretty far so far eh? I would be on board with it if it would actually make a difference, but it wont. What gives us the right to decide which species get to live and which get to die? Nothing. We have just entitled ourselves to. I understand they are an invasive species, but sport angling is not going to correct the issue now.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

--Okanagan area is heating up...vaseax is starting to produce. If you're unlucky you might have to put up with trout and kokanee getting in the way.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »

Maybe but it does not hurt to kill your limit of them.  It is sad the governments have not taken illegal stocking seriously either.  They have done next to nothing about it.

--My view of course but where they are established... they should be managed to produce a good fishery so that those that appretiate the fishery will fish there and not be tempted to transplant. If you contiually remove large spawning bass you will just create a population of smaller fish that are not as desireable to fish.
--Several areas in the Province were planted with Bass by the government... Including the most recent being Skaha in mid 1980's...
--Designate some lakes for Bass management and then have Zero tollerance for those who transplant in other areas.

--Areas that have been recent illegal transplants have been closed to fishing and areas such as Gardom in Salmon Arm were poisoned and re-stocked with trout. So Government... with limited staff are doing something. If we want them to do more lobby for more enforcement boots on the ground.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:51:49 PM by skaha »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 07:14:58 AM »

Some interesting points and theories skaha.
Some people forget that bass were once stocked in this province in areas.