Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: should we really use roe bags for steelhead?  (Read 7546 times)

Morty

should we really use roe bags for steelhead?
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »

Because Steelhead
   - are the only salmon* that come from ocean to spawn and then recover to return to sea and hopefully repeat the process,
   - they OFTEN take our bait and throw the hook or break off
as good stewards of the stocks should we really be using: plastic roe bags, chemically treated roe/shrimp, and synthetic worms/"bugs" that will stay in their gut??

(* please don't turn this into a discussion about whether Steelhead are salmon or trout )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:52:07 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: should we really use roe bags for steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »

I don't like the idea of the bags environmentally. But there are a lot of other issues fishermen cause that should be taken care of first, fishing line, coffee cups, packaging, etc. The bags should be biodegradable, and safe for the fish at the least.

Don't think that any plastic baits are safe to use either, they break off and flow down river into guts of all types of fish.

Carich980

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »

Because Steelhead
   - are the only salmon* that come from ocean to spawn and then recover to return to sea and hopefully repeat the process,
as good stewards of the stocks should we really be using: plastic roe bags, chemically treated roe/shrimp, and synthetic worms/"bugs" that will stay in their gut??

(* please don't turn this into a discussion about whether Steelhead are salmon or trout )

What do you suggest we use instead?

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:16 AM »

Funny I was just thinking of this on the Stave this morning... Is the mesh bag biodegradable?  I was researching the one I bought, MelNak Baitmaker.  However there wasn't any information on this one.

If you google 'biodegradable mesh bag' the results would certainly come up, with enough research you can probably find one specifically for bait bags.  If not, then there certainly should be a market for it, considering how valuable our resources are.

I'm not trying to highjack this thread, but lead weights also merits some consideration with their effects to the environment.  Especially when they're likely to be the cause of a snag, thus causing a break in a line then losing the weight.

That being said, it's definitely better than plastic baits for starters.

Funny, the same topic seemed to come up 10 years ago: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=6431.0
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:24:56 AM »

The only negative thing I see with roebags is the discarded bags laying on the river bank.
That same guy probably leaves his Timmies cup behind too so isn't the products fault but the users in this regard.
When I catch fish or even just get a take I usualy get my netting back without the eggs.
The eggs are no different than eggs that fish scoop up in the river so no harm there.
There are much bigger fish to fry than this one I think. Lead being one of them.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »

Not sure that's true. Lead is not harmful unless ingested.
Lead pellets from shotguns are frequently ingested by birds in marshy wetlands. This is why many places have banned lead shot under a certain diameter - to protect birds from eating them or to protect birds from eating birds that have been shot and killed but not recovered.

The fast water of our local rivers isn't exactly marshy wetlands, the size of the "shot" is significantly bigger (i.e. not easily ingested by birds) so I would say that it is not really a problem.

StillAqua

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

Funny I was just thinking of this on the Stave this morning... Is the mesh bag biodegradable?  I was researching the one I bought, MelNak Baitmaker.  However there wasn't any information on this one.

If you google 'biodegradable mesh bag' the results would certainly come up, with enough research you can probably find one specifically for bait bags.  If not, then there certainly should be a market for it, considering how valuable our resources are.

I'm pretty sure MelNak mesh is nylon, like many others. Not biodegradable.
I've been thinking about trying cut-up transparent, biodegradable PET teabags. I like the idea of trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible when I fish.

jim

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »

2years ago, I found a hook, kinky leader, and 6" worm in the stomach of a 14 lber.
I had heard of fish with gooey bobs in them, caught by fellows.
I think the nylon mesh and thread is much less dangerous to them.

ThatDeafGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure MelNak mesh is nylon, like many others. Not biodegradable.
I've been thinking about trying cut-up transparent, biodegradable PET teabags. I like the idea of trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible when I fish.

Thanks, we all have to be a little conscious with what we are using and what we are releasing to the environment.  Even if we don't see the effects now, but over time it will happen.
Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »

All biodegradable means is that bacteria can break it down.  Wether this happens in the course of 5 days, or 500 years doesn't matter.

As for the lead debate, Yellowstone has outright banned its use in gear unless it is deemed too large for digestion (forget what size). 
And as fast as our rivers are, items still turn up in back eddies, or stay wedged on the bottom.   Heck I once pulled a float and four large splits out of  bushes on the opposite bank of a river. 

Not everything winds up at the bottom.

On a side note, I have seen how my flies react to time spent underwater.  The natural aspects decompose, as is easy to tell by discolouration and the loss of material.  The synthetic apsects (runner legs and chenille) had not.

Morty

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »

What do you suggest we use instead?

LOTS of options I'm thinking:
   - natural roe or roe cured with only: salt, sugar, natural fish oils
   - deli shrimp, prawn tails natural, or cured with: salt, sugar, natural fish oils
   - real ghost shrimp,
   - actual dew worms.   (maybe opportunity for someone to start a worm farm in Yarrow) 
   - or as Clarki hints at, flies or jigs tied with natural/organic materials.

I have read several times that a fish's system is capable of dissolving hooks should they actually swallow one.  Also have not seen or read of any instances where a blade or spoon was found in a Steelhead gut - so they are likely less damaging presentations as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:58:33 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:06:41 PM »

Because Steelhead

As good stewards we should not be using the fish for our amusement at all by stressing them out in a fight and then releasing them for the next angler to do the same. We are a far cry from good stewards roe sacks are the least of the problem.
[

Joey

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 07:37:07 AM »

yes same goes for the sturgeon,pulling the heavy fish for trill