Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crossing Cabin  (Read 3532 times)

dave c

Crossing Cabin
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »

I was fishing above the crossing a couple days ago and noticed that the cabin on the north side about 2 miles upstream of the bridge is now gone!  Was there about three weeks ago showing a friend.  We marveled at the workmanship and commented at how much effort had been put into it over the years.  I also had noticed he was building another cabin, this one on stilts.  With our last big rain the river changed course and all that is there now is a log jam.  Very sad.  I hope the owner wasn't in it when it was wiped out.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Crossing Cabin
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »

Someone had a detailed post about these, rescue was called out I believe.

drh

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »

I was wondering the same thing last week .A huge pile of logs now sits where the 2 cabins were,My fishin buddy was lookin in the windows a month ago when the owner jumped up to stare back at him.Scott said there was no door visible on the older cabin.I'm sure it must of been scary when the water was risen  :(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:57:30 AM »

Here is the story written by one of my FB, good work by him.
"I have a story to tell about an event I have been waiting for, for 2 years that finally happened today. Many of you only know me as the Vet advocate but this is an opportunity for me to give you an idea of my character.

2 years ago me and my wife moved to the Chilliwack River valley to settle down and start a family. our home has a glorious view overlooking the Chilliwack river and the surrounding mountain range hugging the US border. It was our first winter 2012 when I noticed through binoculars a pillar of blue smoke rising up through the bush on a little island in the middle of the river that was river on one side and a dry run on the side closer to the road. Someone was obviously living there.

In the spring of 2013 me and my wife walked the river through this area and came across a small 10x10 cabin. the area was clean and well hidden in the bushes. the inhabitants didn't appear to be home and I didn't want to bother them. we would see them through the binos leaving their little home occasionally. They are a couple. on older women 55+ and a younger man with very long hair and bearded. We've seen them a few times in the summer walking hand in hand, smiling, right down Vedder road headed towards town. I never wanted to bother them because I knew they are happy to live away from civilization and it often has something to do with a hard past. I relate to them.

I left home at an early age and never really liked living in the city. Many summers I would travel to Port Alberni and camp on the Stamp River when the fall salmon run was at its height. There is nothing like spending a few weeks sleeping and fishing next to a river. going days without talking to anyone you begin to hear the animals before they come. and sometimes theirs music in the water as it pushes rocks and creates white water. It is a peace I have not found in any other experience.

If you look at the picture attached, a dry river bed runs straight at their cabin. it is inevitable that eventually a strong rainfall will bring that run back to life and water and fallen floating trees will travel straight towards their home.There is no power there of course so they likely do not have any use for a cell phone. so I made a point of the precise GPS position of the cabin and have always kept an eye on them knowing that a flood would maroon them to the island when the torrent would inevitably arrive.

So Today Saturday Feb.8 my son woke me up early crying for some water. once I took care of that I went to my window to discover that a strong rainfall had blown out the river. It was 9am. The Island was cut off and the earth around the cabin had been removed 60 ft into the bush right to their doorstep. Looking through the Binoculars I could see smoke still rising from their cabin and they were scrambling around through the bushes perhaps removing their valuables to the middle of the piece of shrinking island 100m wide. the once dry channel had re-awoken and had become a torrent 50ft wide. They were trapped.

I called the local RCMP detachment and gave them a detailed brief and suggested they send a constable straight to me as I have the only direct view. Bushes obscure the view from the road closest to the islands location. 40 minutes later a constable arrived and came in for a look through the binoculars and I got him aware of the area and precise grid on google earth. Local SAR was activated within an hour of my first call. I tried to come along for the adventure but was told I am not qualified despite my background. So I watched from my window and was helpful over the phone to guide the SAR team to the closest position across from the cabin. I could see that they were communicating with the couple and after an hour a helicopter came into the valley and landed safely on a rocky bed on the downriver side of the piece of land. After 10 minutes they were aboard and flew out of the area.

This evening just after 6 the constable called to thank me. It was a good call and it was an emergency. The couple were accommodated in one of Chilliwack's shelters. I feel sad that they have lost their beautiful spot on the river but am relieved that they are alive and well.

I don't need to meet them or want any special recognition, but It is stories like this that should remind us all that we have a duty to each other, to be human and loving and to never judge those whom we do not understand. Once upon a time I lived on a river too."

"please share"

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »

Great story here. Tell your FB friend to keep writing and sharing their stories.

SilverChaser

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »

I noticed about a week ago that everything that they had once had was gone. They seemed like decent people; I had only talked to them a few times during the salmon/beginning of steelhead season. Hope all goes well but it really does suck that they lost everything.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

dave c

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »

Thanks for the update. I was worried. I too have seen them but did not want to bother them.  I always marveled at the ingenuity and workmanship this gentleman put into his heaven on earth.  I am glad I took the time to take a couple photos of the site a couple of weeks prior to its demise.