Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 7mm Mag: A good all around rifle?  (Read 18309 times)

gmachine19

7mm Mag: A good all around rifle?
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:05:01 PM »

Hey guys, so I finally registered to take my PAL and RPAL at the end of the month and I already have 3 guns (sorta) in mind. a 12 gauge, .22 and a 7mm mag.

So a few of my buddies suggested that because of my size, a 7mm mag would be the perfect all around gun for me. But, some stores suggest that .308 is all I need for hunting here. Does anyone have experience on both 7mm mag and .308? I could really use some input here.

The rifle I'm looking for will be used to hunt deer, elk, moose, boar, black bear (highly unlikely cuz i love these guys).

Recoil doesn't really bother me and I think 300 mag would be overkill.

Thanks in advance!
You should've been here yesterday!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: 7mm Mag: A good all around rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »

I would pick guns like I pick fishing rods. The right gun for the right application. A 7mm packs a big punch and is very impressive. I do not own one but have used a few of them. I would listen to the stores, but if your heart wants the 7mm go for it.

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »

.308 will cover everything and ammo is cheaper so theres that, theres no need for 7mm mag unless you plan on hunting speed goat in the open plain or caribou or possibly sheep, most lml hunting is within 200 yards or less.

Carich980

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »

7mm is a great calibre. Look for an older browning auto. Doesnt really matter what you get its all preference. If your going for all around rifle a 30-06 is hard to beat. I started with a .308 lever and its a great gun especially with the clip. Then moved to a .270 win which is also a nice platform.

However more game has likely been taken with the old faithful open sight 30-30 win than any others out there. I'm not an fan of any of the newer model guns most of the stocks and overall platforms feel cheap & poorly built I'd recommend getting and older Browning or whatever brand you prefer over anything else.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 06:50:50 AM »

However more game has likely been taken with the old faithful open sight 30-30 win than any others out there.

One of my favourite guns I've ever shot. Light, fun to shoot. Great gun for hiking deep in the bush.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »

I've had the same conversation with a bunch of co-workers, and so far all of them say to go with a 30-06. Main reason being whatever town, city or hunting camp you pass through someone will have 30-06 ammunition. The 7mm Mag is a fantastic flat shooting round and it packs a ton of stopping power but for one the ammo is more expensive and because its a magnum load the ammo is also more scarse. The 30-06 has been around for 100 + years

http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/58109-7mm-mag-vs-30-06-a.html

5 Pages of stats on both calibers. Good luck

gmachine19

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

Ya it'd probably get a marlin 30-30 instead of a shotgun now! It's for bear defense mainly.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 01:56:42 PM »

I've had the same conversation with a bunch of co-workers, and so far all of them say to go with a 30-06. Main reason being whatever town, city or hunting camp you pass through someone will have 30-06 ammunition. The 7mm Mag is a fantastic flat shooting round and it packs a ton of stopping power but for one the ammo is more expensive and because its a magnum load the ammo is also more scarse. The 30-06 has been around for 100 + years

http://www.shootersforum.com/rifles-rifle-cartridges/58109-7mm-mag-vs-30-06-a.html

5 Pages of stats on both calibers. Good luck

7mm ammo scarce? Haha that's funny...

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »

7mm ammo scarce? Haha that's funny...

Not to say that 7mm can't be found anywhere, but in the respect of brands and grains. The shop I work at has close to 12-13 different brands and grains of 30-06 compared to 4 brands and grains for 7mm

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 06:09:00 AM »

That's because it's a 7mmRM. It's only .284"
Any lighter then 140gr you're losing to much down range energy.
Any heavier then 175gr and you start looking at barrels with a custom twist.
Even the standard 1:9.5 twist that most 7mags come standard in, isn't enough to get proper performance out of a 175 grain.
Also, heavier bullets would be to long, creating a pressure spike. An example would be the Barnes all copper tsx. For example my tikka 7mag makes around 3150fps with a 160gr partition and 65gr of powder. (7828) This is a hot load. The tsx will run that fast, but with about 4.5gr of powder less.
There's nothing a 200gr '06 is doing at 200yds that a 7mm can't do.
In fact the further out you go, the more the 7mm starts to shine.
7mm ammo can be found right beside the 30'06 on just about any shelf that sells ammo anywhere.

gmachine19

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 09:31:37 PM »

One of my favourite guns I've ever shot. Light, fun to shoot. Great gun for hiking deep in the bush.

Ugh this picture made me rethink my first gun. It's gonna be a 45-70 lever action short barrel!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 04:13:24 AM »

Better start buying your reloading gear too then! It's an addiction, and 45-70 factory ammo is not cheap, harder to come by, and tuned down due to the abundance of old trapdoor Springfield and other low pressure guns around. The 45-70 really comes alive when you reload. Otherwise, it's a poor choice for a first gun IMO.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 04:15:57 AM »

Lever guns are sexy, if you want one for your first gun, can I suggest the 30-30 Winchester?
That caliber has probably killed more big game then any other in North america.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

Ya it'd probably get a marlin 30-30 instead of a shotgun now! It's for bear defense mainly.

12ga. is a far superior bear gun than the 30-30. If its for defense - you'll be using it within close quarters to the bear and a 1oz slug will stop bears faster than a 130grain 30 caliber. The way I look at it, if you have to aim, you shouldn't be shooting it - unless you are hunting it.

Yes, I've shot black bear with both 12ga and 30-30.
7mag was my first long rifle. I really liked it but found I liked the .270 better. 30-06 is a well proven winner and you can argue all you want as to which calibre is better - for all practical hunting applications they are all pretty equal. If you step up to moose or long range elk, then the 7mag or 30-06. You can look at ballistic chart until you are cross-eyed but unless you are a marksman or loading your own, don't worry about ballistics - these all work great. I wouldn't worry about long range hunt/shooting since you should be stalking as close as practical anyways.

Do the research on the rifle make and model, be sure to get a good reputable shooter that fits your needs. Decide what you need, don't get an older semi-automatic if you are a left handed shooter unless you are prepared to take hot brass in the nose. If you really get into it, you will by another rifle - we all did and new hunters will continue to do so. Get good optics and ring/bases.

Are you going to reload or buy factory loads? Check the pricing on shells. There are a lot of questions and many more answers. You need to speak to a few gun shops to narrow down the right rifle for you. Also helps if you go out with a buddy and get to shoot different calibres and loads.

Personally - don't get the 30-30 unless you get a hand me down rifle for free. Honestly, you're not going to like it for hunting until you become somewhat dedicated to that hunting style. A .270 or 30-06 would be most practical for you.

That's my opinion - many will agree and many will not. In the end it doesn't matter what you get as long as you hunt legally, safely and ethically.

Cheers.

amesbubbles

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »

Ruger 10/22
Marlin 45/70
Browning 300 WSM